• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buy FX-4130 BE or Keep 965 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rossotron

Registered
So microcenter has the 4130 for $40 right now. Should I replace my 965 with it or is it not worth the $40? I would think it would be a bit more efficient since it's a newer tech than my 965 or am I wrong?

With your motherboard/cooling you should be able to get better performance with the 4130 after a nice OC.

Dang. I don't have a microcenter near me, and this would be perfect for the budget/donation build I'm doing for a friend of mine.

WITH YOUR SUPPORTING HARWARE THE 4130.
depending on where you are sell me the denab also.

i'm in Los Angeles. the microcenter is about an hour from me.

the 6350 is currently not on sale but the 6300 is currently at $110. i'll most likely just pick up the 4130.

Even if you don't like the 4130 you can probably put your 965 back in and sell the 4130 for a profit!

rossotron, skip the cpu and get you an SSD for the operatng system. It is the most real bang for the buck you can get right now. Maybe sell the ram kit you have and get an 8 gig kit.

You have plenty of motherboard for an FX-4130, but that is the old tech 4 core FX processor the newer one is 43xx. You would need a solid 4.6Ghz on the FX-4130 to equal up to your Deneb processor at 4.0Ghz. You may then need more fans in the case and fans on the VRM for cooling as well. Not a certainty, but those other changes are a possible necessity. One additional tidbit is that when I spec an FX system for buds, I do not spec them with less than DDR3-1866 ram since the FX processors really do seem to bulk up the muscles at DDR3-1866,

Of course it is all your money and you can spend as you please, but you did ask.
RGone...

So microcenter has the 4130 for $40 right now. Should I replace my 965 with it or is it not worth the $40? I would think it would be a bit more efficient since it's a newer tech than my 965 or am I wrong?

I would buy it only to try and resell it on eBay. What you have already is as good and probably a bit better. The 965 BE that is. RGone put it best.

i'm in Los Angeles. the microcenter is about an hour from me.

the 6350 is currently not on sale but the 6300 is currently at $110. i'll most likely just pick up the 4130.

You won't like this chip. If your going to purchase an FX chip, get an 8 core. It's the same wattage but you'll be future proofed a little more. Plus you'll have better results when you benchmark against your buddies. ;)

Memory performance will be similar not better... Going from say Cas 6/7/8 1600Mhz to Cas 9/10/11 1866mhz isn't exactly muscle unless that 1866 can be run at 1600 Cas latencies. Then you'd might see a performance increase. I try and run my FX chips at 1000Mhz (effective) at Cas 9 or tighter. I won't go looser than Cas 8 on 800Mhz+ (effective) however. And some times it seems overclocking from a 1333 divider seems to really pay off while I benchmark.

But anywho... FX 8 core or stay home. Don't waste your moneys, get an SSD like RGone suggested.

The FX four core and eight core chips might be rated for the same wattage at stock speeds and voltages but when you start to ramp up the vcore when overclocking the eights probably make a lot more heat.

FYI for those that can read and assimilate...

I likely have written part of this before but as time has passed there is more information available as more testing is done by various sites and venues.

I really hate burying this stuff but a few will see this and know accordingly.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ces-xeon-measuring-processor-power-paper.html >>
Measuring Processor Power TDP vs ACP

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2807/2 >>
Making Sense of AMD ACP/TDP and Intel TDP

Now you want to know why AMD FX processor can run so hot? You can take the charts at link below and see (within that PowerSupplies Accuracy) what an FX-4core or 6core or 8core processor actually draw for power from the power supply.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/fx-8350-8320-6300-4300_8.html
performance analysis of all Vishera processors with eight, six and four cores.
Power measured on the output of power supply not the input side.

Now while you are doing the math gymnastics above, do nOt forget the stipulation from that test/article what have you. There is no way the tests at their tested "full load" are drawing the power that most of us would see when we lock our cpus into ALL cores on and WFO. A huge difference between our overclocked ALL cores on and testing power draw at output of the P/S at full load with the cpu setup as tested by Xbitlabs. Period.

Copied:
The CPUs are loaded by running the 64-bit version of LinX 0.6.4-AVX utility. Moreover, we enabled Turbo mode and all power-saving technologies to correctly measure computer's power draw in idle mode: C1E, C6, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep and AMD Cool’n’Quiet.
End Copy.

From AMD PDF about Turbo Core Technology.
AMD Turbo Core Technology: AMD Turbo Core Technology and Application Power Management (APM) allow the CPU cores to run above the CPU Base clock value as long as the CPU remains within the thermal and power limits.

As an example the AMD FX-8150 CPU has a base clock of 3600MHz but it can run at 3900MHz when up to 8 cores are active and at 4200MHz when up to 4 cores are active assuming it stays within the power and thermal limits.

Under very heavy workloads the CPU will return to the base clock – 3600MHz in the case of AMD FX-8150 CPU.

Remember when we overclock, it is general practice to disable TurboCore etc so that in our overclocked state the processor normally is running ALL cores enabled and at the overclocked speed.
RGone...ster.

guys, guys, guys, I just BLAM-O-ED my deneb rig so i need him to get the 4130 and sell me his 965, sure the 4130 is a good step back but..........

guys, guys, guys, I just BLAM-O-ED my deneb rig so i need him to get the 4130 and sell me his 965, sure the 4130 is a good step back but..........

LOL sorry caddi i will take RGone's advise and look for an SSD. i will keep you updated as soon as i change my chip if you are still looking for a deneb cpu.

Back