• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a 4K monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dravenspur

Before I drop some money on a 4K monitor, I thought I would ask what brands people have had success with. I realize there are duds with every brand, but I thought I would ask for advice before spending money on this. I'm looking to game with it. I know I would also have to upgrade my video card. I also realize that once you get to 1440 or 4K, you start buying G-Sync or Free Sync monitors for NVidia and AMD, respectively. Right now, I'm not deciding between NVidia or AMD. If people like the G-Sync monitor better, I can go with NVidia...if people like a Free Sync monitor better I can stick with AMD (what I have now). What sort of things do I look for in a good monitor? I think 5ms response time or less is good for gaming, but beyond that, I'm not sure. Thanks for any responses, guys. I really appreciate the help.

Honestly depnds on what you want to do... Productivity, gaming etc... Check out hardware Canucks recent video.

If you can wait another two-four weeks, vega is going to hit the market for video cards.

Otherwise, no single amd card will do 4k.

Would need 3 rx 480s in crossfire to even have a shot at it.

I think 5ms response time or less is good for gaming, but beyond that, I'm not sure.

Consider the type of the panel. I like IPS for its better viewing angles and colour reproduction, but they tend to be slower than TN. 5ms ball park panels tend to be IPS, but check that if it matters. TN are 1ms ball park. I don't think my eyes are good enough to notice the difference.

It also depends on the game/settings, but at 1440p I'm finding my old 980Ti holding up well (to the 60Hz of my monitor). If I go 4k I would look to upgrade from there.

Otherwise, no single amd card will do 4k.

Well, it could do it, if you don't mind turning the settings down. I did testing using a GTX960 at 4k before. At ultra settings it was the best slideshow I had ever seen :D I know, going lower quality might negate the point of going for a 4k experience...

IPS is usually 5ms Grey to Grey. For colors, its much higher, usually 15-30ms depending on the quality of the panel.

Thats why you see on newegg adds 5ms(GTG)

Its a sort of marketing ploy for the tech unsavvy.

I have only use IPS monitors since I first bought my ASUS MX239H in 2013. It is still fully operational, and no dead pixels as of yet(knocks on wood). I bought a different monitor, an LG IPS 24MP56, and it has far less pixel blur than the old asus when scrolling.

Also, When typing, white/grey letters don't "color shift", but any colored pixel appears to "morph" colors even when the monitor picture is stationary. If you stop typing, this color shift disappears entirely. It happens on both IPS panels, across my old gtx 770 and RX 480.

My next panel may be an OLED, as I like to try out different monitors to see which ones I like the best.

Both of my monitors will probably only last another 2 years at most. Any longer and I'd be surprised.

Dont worry about G-Sync. Nvidia's new Fast sync makes G-Sync completely obsolete and a total waste of money. With the new fast sync you dont get screen tearing and you dont get much input latency either. The only possiblity of screen tearing would be at low FPSes, but I dont ever see it on either of my two platforms. At this point, with Fast sync G-Sync is a massive waste of money (if it wasent already before).

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will wait for Vega, check some reviews of third party cards (ASUS, Sapphire, etc.) and then start thinking about 4k.

Dont worry about G-Sync. Nvidia's new Fast sync makes G-Sync completely obsolete and a total waste of money. With the new fast sync you dont get screen tearing and you dont get much input latency either. The only possiblity of screen tearing would be at low FPSes, but I dont ever see it on either of my two platforms. At this point, with Fast sync G-Sync is a massive waste of money (if it wasent already before).

Fast-sync only works above your monitors refresh rate. It is not a g-sync replacement.

Back