• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a new graphic card...help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ops sorry :)
here are pics from cpu-z for Ram stuff...I don't know much about them so I keep them default
2321d.jpg

2322j.jpg

about the resolution thing....is it smaller the resolution higher cpu load & lower gpu load or what?

All the cards are the same. Main difference is warranty/customer service which eVGA and BFG excel at.

For 1024x768 I wouldn't bother getting a new card until you get a higher rez monitor. The 8800GTS-512 is plenty of power for that rez. I run an 8800GTS-512 in my HTPC at stock clocks w/ an E5200 @ 3.6GHz and it chews threw GRID pinned at 60fps (vsync) w/ all settings maxed and 8xQCSAA.

Don't spend hundreds of dollars b/c of some benchmark. Play some actual games and see what happens.

about the resolution thing....is it smaller the resolution higher cpu load & lower gpu load or what?

Lower rez means the GPU doesn't have to do as much. It doesn't mean the CPU is doing any more work than at a higher rez. It's just that the GPU is no longer the bottleneck.

Higher CPU speed might help some, but honestly you should do what I said above and try to play some actual games before you pass any kind of judgement on your system and start trying to throw money at a problem that doesn't exist.

aha....and what specifications should I look for in an LCD then?? how to know this lcd is good and that one is bad? -Iam on a 17inch CRT :p -

Depends on your budget, and what's available to you out there. I would go for a 1920x1200 panel, but you may have to settle on a 1680x1050 panel which is also very nice.

If you can provide a list of what you have available we might be able to help narrow it down. Also let us know how picky you are about black levels, contrast, color shift, etc.

I did try lost planet...which goes 20-30fps at full screen 1024*768...maxed settings
when I used a smaller resolution with lines above and below the game -like movies screen- it gets uoto 50-60fps

Yep, didnt notice the resolution you were playing at... a 275GTX would be a waste of cash.

As a matter of fact you should stick with your 8800 if you plan to game at that resolution.

CRT are actually better than LCD but no1 makes widescreen CRTs :p

-How do you know which LCD is good?
Well you want one that can do at least 1600x1050 and a 60Hz refresh.
You look at the monitor black tones, brightness, viewing angle, and check for dead pixels.

If your budget is around $400, buying at middle east prices... pick up a 22inch LCD and a 260GTX 216... should be enough?

Do not buy a new video card if you are going to game at 1024x768.

What the, am I the only one to think its absurd to get a new GPU for a 1024x768 resolution. Common if your over 30-40FPS you have no problem.

1024x768 is tiny, I havent ran that resolution since my Windows 98 computer.
I'd really suggest running in a higher resolution and getting a new GPU or just leaving that GPU. Whats wrong with 50fps?

And I agree, its ok to hate a company but get something that fits your need.

and I didn't know that :S
I though it was my graphic card fault
most games play well actually...with full settings at 1024*768...but since I am planning to get an LCD i might go to higher resolutions...and the B rank with RE5 benchmark is turning me mad :(...In crysis I get fast black lines when the screen moves around as the frames updates -60hz-.

about the LCD...I don't really care about the black level but my eyes are highly sensitive to irregular color shifting even if it is small..and I don't think I want to go over 19inch.

and still need help for the ram oc...
here are pics from cpu-z for Ram stuff...I don't know much about them so I keep them default
2321d.jpg
2322j.jpg
I know I am asking too much guys but I feel like I am in heavens here :)

Read the overclocking guide I suggested Expert. I already stated you may get 900Mhz out of it. I cant see the screenshots at work so I cant help much more, so read the guide and see what those sticks can do on your own in the meantime. Just dont add more then .1 volts to stock and you will be safe.

You can try to OC your RAM more, but it will do little to nothing to help in gaming.

From that ss it looks like you're running stock again (333FSB). Go back to your OC settings and then let's see what it says. CPU speed > RAM speed.

19" would be a wasted effort as it is still below 1680x1050 afaik. Go for at least a good 22" 1680x1050 LCD.

22inch will blind me :)
but seriously I see a lot of stock LCDs around and I don't know which is better...they all look the same!

5min. I will re-oc again

Did you see the meager res he plays on? SLI/Crossfire would be a monumental waste of money at 1024x768.

Also, Nvida on ATI/Intel chipsets and ATI on Nvidia chipsets work just fine. You just dont have the option of SLI/Crossfire. :thup:

I know the SLI/X-fire thing the reason I pointed that out was that you are limited crossing chipset/vid and the most powerful ATI option would be an X2 card but going nVidia allows dual card solutions.

I dont game as much as I used to so nVidia at this point is moving in until ATi gets their crap together.

And I did miss the playing res.

Most LCDs have a TN panel and suffer from mediocre black levels. They're fine for most folks, and work well for me. They are also very cheap.

The others such as S-IPS, H-IPS, S-PVA, & MVA panels are better but will cost you more. Google is your friend. Read some reviews.

Here's a link I just found discussing the different panel types:

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

Do your research. Go to a store and see them...play w/ the settings. Then pick what you like!

Edit: 19" blind you! LOL! I sit right in front of a 28"!

28 is a disaster for me :)
here are the ram settings after ocing....cpu is up to 4027mhz
71490137.jpg
57630633.jpg

I know there is some problem with core 2 duo bios heat readings...I get CPU temp 32-36 and core 1 temp 44...core 2 temp 44...after ocing...which one is true?

Those temps will not hinder performance.

Buy another case fan next time you go to a tech shop, they are cheap.

Back