• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a new graphic card...help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
here is a picture...18 minutes passed
it was 64-66 till a screen saver loaded :mad:
tempk.jpg

are these temps ok?
I stopped the test...the cpu is resting at 43 degrees...weird thing I touched the heat sink when it reached 67 and it was cool

70C and under is fine. You wont hit those temps doing anything else unless you F@H or something of the like which from what it appears, I doubt you do that.

I do rip some movies on my pc....
now to the ram ocing...waiting for jason4207..
so the final word is to drop the new graphic plans till I get to bigger res...

turns out the cpu does have something to do with it...the benchmark is getting to 70fps "barely, but it didn't do that before"..gpu not oced
average is 54fps with a grade of B :(

Im sorry to come off rude here, but there isnt a way I can think of not to.....

Can you start the process on your own? You are already at 422FSB. You already know that you can raise that memory voltage by .1. Have you tried that? Have you tried loosening the timings? Have you read that guide I told you about? None of us are going to fly to the middle east to help you. Take the training wheels off my friend and go for a ride. Read that guide! :)

I absolutely have no clue about ram ocing....I am reading the thread now...
you are not rude or anything....its good enough that you guys are helping me in learning all these things

Reading that guide should help you out a lot. We will all contonue to help, but you have to learn and not be afraid to try things yourself within reason. Again, finish reading that guide.

As far as the white dots, thats called artificating and something (core/memory/shader) is too high so back it off a bit.

I lowered mem speed by 50mhz and everything is fine...thanks
back after ram experimenting finishes
and by the way...the guide was written by Cluster...if I got it right

no luck so far...
reducing CAS by 1 causes the pc to peep
increasing ram speed by 50mhz gets BSODs and scary stuff
gotta change the chipsets timings :S
still trying

Last edited:
ok...I found the following
1-Default voltage my pc detects for ram is 1.9 not 1.8
so I increased voltage up to 2.050

2- I tried to increase speed upto 850 and it gave me only 840...cycle times become bigger

3-tried to increase speed to 900 and increase voltage...still speed is 840mhz...with larger cycles times

the default cycle time for my rams is 5-6-6-12
now it is
81828108.jpg

4- tried to use everest benchmark memory tests....found out that there is a difference...got my pc before core2 duo extreme in Everest's list :
50899751.jpg

should I roll back to defaults and wait for expert opinion??

here it is
this is as far as it can go
6-7-7-20 voltage 2.050 speed 840MHZ (I wrote 900 but thats all it gave me :( )
note:tras can go up to 40!
note: everest benchmark readings got worse
677201.jpg
677202.jpg

why do you want to increase your ram's speed?
higher 'mhz' on your ram will only give you better benchmarking scores...especially benchmarks like Pi test etc.
overclocking your ram doesn't give you much beneift FPS wise. although, it'l help you reah a higher FSB when you oc your CPU...but i still doubt you need 900 or 1000mhz.

also, i saw that your ram is running at 800mhz, 5-5-5-18 stock. there's little chance you'll be able to oc your RAM as the timings are already considered loose. :(
on the other hand, if the stock timings were 4-4-4-12 you'd have more chance.

btw, why dyou hate ATi! i love ATi lol.

regarding your GPU-monitor problem...if you're going to get a bigger monitor, get a new/faster GPU as at higher resolutions the load is going to be put on your GPU. however if you're going to keep using your CRT at 10*x7*, keep overclocking that CPU until you reach 4ghz+.

:beer:

here it is
this is as far as it can go
6-7-7-20 voltage 2.050 speed 840MHZ (I wrote 900 but thats all it gave me :( )
note:tras can go up to 40!
note: everest benchmark readings got worse
677201.jpg
677202.jpg
yeh...i was gonna say, you won't get very far with such loose timings.

the looser your timings (the bigger the number) means the longer it takes for RAM to communicate with other parts of your system. the cas setting of 6 you have right now means it takes 6ms for you to access a colmun of memory on a module.
as opposed to 5ms when you were running at 800mhz.
play around a bit and see waht the best speed/timings combo is :thup:

also, i should say, running your RAM faster than youro FSB is useless for your CPU...and useless for everybody else running C2Ds. you'll get very very very little performance increase in real life situations. so just run your RAM and w/e your FSB is set on...i'm guessing 400mhz? sucks eh lol.

so maybe go back down to 400mhz and see how tight you can get the timings to.
just my $.02

hmmm....i found it a lot faster while loading startup programs and while booting...
the setup was 850mhz...6-7-7-20

I usually don't like over clocking setups because my past experiments ended up frying something -usually the mainboard- but i found it much better now...at 4ghz

next step is water cooling..how lower can temp get if I use a water cooling system?
a chasis with a wc system here costs about 250-300$...will it be worth it? and will i be able to overclock my cpu further "current is 4.06ghz"

yeh...i was gonna say, you won't get very far with such loose timings.

the looser your timings (the bigger the number) means the longer it takes for RAM to communicate with other parts of your system. the cas setting of 6 you have right now means it takes 6ms for you to access a colmun of memory on a module.
as opposed to 5ms when you were running at 800mhz.
play around a bit and see waht the best speed/timings combo is :thup:

also, i should say, running your RAM faster than youro FSB is useless for your CPU...and useless for everybody else running C2Ds. you'll get very very very little performance increase in real life situations. so just run your RAM and w/e your FSB is set on...i'm guessing 400mhz? sucks eh lol.

so maybe go back down to 400mhz and see how tight you can get the timings to.
just my $.02

Not 5ms or 6ms. It's 5 cycles or 6 cycles. In this case a cycle is [1/840,000,000]s or 1.19ns/cycle. If he could get the RAM running 1GHz then a cycle would be 1ns.

Also, hes' not running the RAM faster than the FSB. He's running it slower...something that you can't do on an intel chipset, but is possible on the nVidia chipset boards.

hmmm....i found it a lot faster while loading startup programs and while booting...
the setup was 850mhz...6-7-7-20

I usually don't like over clocking setups because my past experiments ended up frying something -usually the mainboard- but i found it much better now...at 4ghz

next step is water cooling..how lower can temp get if I use a water cooling system?
a chasis with a wc system here costs about 250-300$...will it be worth it? and will i be able to overclock my cpu further "current is 4.06ghz"

Do you see the FSB:RAM ratio in CPU-Z? You keep picking odd ratios, and the board won't work well (or at all) w/ every ratio. That might be why it keeps reverting back to 840 when you select 900.

Since your RAM isn't that great I would just try to run it 1:1 if you can. This might still be hard since you're going to be pushing your RAM pretty hard, but I would at least try. There should be some 'sync' and/or 'linked' settings on your board. I'm not that familiar w/ nVidia chipsets so you'll just have to experiment to see what works right, but try to get 1:1 to show up in CPU-Z. Start w/ timings loose at like 6-7-7-20 like you have it, and then try for 5-6-6-18 or something in between...you might need to try 1 timing at a time. Give it a little more RAM voltage if you feel comfortable. Basically if giving it a little more voltage helps it run better at the tighter timings then roll w/ it. If not then put it back.

I wouldn't jump into water cooling just yet. Baby steps...baby steps. Your temps are fine, and 4GHz shouldn't hold you back at all.

Is the PC still not performing well? In your situation I would get a new monitor first, then gfx card, then better RAM, then P45 or X48 mobo. And then H20 if that's how you want to roll...I'd stay w/ air, personally.

the raito i got is 16:15
its not the chipset fault and I don't pick any ratios...the ram and fsb speed are set on unlinked...in order to get cpu upto 4ghz without getting my pc to peep due to high ram frequency.....at 4ghz the linked option give me about 1066 ram speed which is way far from my ram's capabilities...here is what the ram settings screen looks like:
cmos1.jpg

and here is the voltage screen:
cmos2.jpg

I don't think I will change mobo for long time....Iam happy with the nvidia chipset..

if i get better rams....say a 1066 or 1333 mhz with less timings (5-5-5-15 for example) and get a better fsb:ram ratio,would that help improve my pc ratings at games?

see it is either I get a new gfx card "a good one" and a better ram...or I get a good LCD instead..

Back