• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Camera Help Needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DerekDRP

Disabled
Ok need some help guys. right now I got a cannon powershot series 1 camera 3.5 mp camera and it has served me well, However it's starting to show it's age and I want to buy a camera for around $600 and I want to be professinal level camera how ever and to be able to have 8 mp or above. What do you guys and gals suggest?

What are you going to do with this new camera?

Do you need DSLR? Do you need to change lenses around? Do you need remote control from your lappy?

There are no professional cameras for $600. Cannon's Semi-Pro camera the 30D is about $1200. I think you're thinking entry level DSLR. The Canon 400D, Sony Alpha A100, or Nikon D40X are all good entry level DSLRs for arround $800. DSLRs don't have movie modes and most do not have live preview so you have to shoot from the viewfinder.

There are a lot of nice prosumer cameras. In terms of cameras, this is probably what Sony is best known for. You might want to check out the Sony superzooms like the H7 or H9. These two cameras have larger lenses than the typical prosumer or compact camera. Olympus and panasonic have a couple of higher end prosumer cameras as well. Canon and Nikon seem to be lacking in a transitional model between the small prosumers and DSLRs.

Also check out dpreview.com. It's probably the best digital camera site on the web.

Thank you everyone I have taken your suggestions to heart. And to malpine well I'm going to be taken pictures of cemetery's, barns, and old run down houses, along with ghostly nature. And I've chosen the Cannon rebel Xti. a little more then in my budget but my folks are helping me out in that area since it's only $150 over, Not too shabby.

The camera will not make a bad photographer good. Just keep taking pictures, you now have a very nice camera. Make it count for something.

drenader said:
The camera will not make a bad photographer good. Just keep taking pictures, you now have a very nice camera. Make it count for something.
I will have a very nice camera. and I will be replacing my old cannon powershot s1 to this little bad boy.

DerekDRP said:
I will have a very nice camera. and I will be replacing my old cannon powershot s1 to this little bad boy.

Yea thats what I was meaning. You will soon have a GREAT camera. Looking forward to some pics when you get it.

drenader said:
Yea thats what I was meaning. You will soon have a GREAT camera. Looking forward to some pics when you get it.
Thanks and your right I will post tons of pictures from the trip and what not.

OK, since you are going to be using this camera for ghost hunting (I kinda figured that you would be), you might want to look into some remote control software. With that, you can do a bunch of things that the camera alone cannot such as:
  • Use your lappy as a huge viewfinder/screen.
  • Take an unlimited number of burst mode pictures and have them all saved on your HD as fast as the USB or Firewire cable can transfer them.
  • Image stacking and filtering to either add or subtract the differences from frame to frame

Here is the first link that I found on google for one that will probably work with the camera that you linked us to.

http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/index.htm

There are other proggies out there and you may want to look at a few of them before you buy one. Check the ads in astronomy magazines to find other proggies that would work for you.

Also, since you are interested in novel (and horrendously expensive) ways to make images, you may want to consider not only ir cameras but UWB cameras as well.

Basically, they were developed for special forces soldiers and they use low power radio wave to make images. The main advantage is that they can see through solid objects. However, since they make images that are not visible to the naked eye, who knows but you might find more stuff that other ghost hunters would miss out on.

I could not find a good link for one but my brother is a captain at the local fire department and I believe that he has one. I will drop him an email and see if he knows where to get one.

Malpine Walis said:
OK, since you are going to be using this camera for ghost hunting (I kinda figured that you would be), you might want to look into some remote control software. With that, you can do a bunch of things that the camera alone cannot such as:
  • Use your lappy as a huge viewfinder/screen.
  • Take an unlimited number of burst mode pictures and have them all saved on your HD as fast as the USB or Firewire cable can transfer them.
  • Image stacking and filtering to either add or subtract the differences from frame to frame

Here is the first link that I found on google for one that will probably work with the camera that you linked us to.

http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/index.htm

There are other proggies out there and you may want to look at a few of them before you buy one. Check the ads in astronomy magazines to find other proggies that would work for you.

Also, since you are interested in novel (and horrendously expensive) ways to make images, you may want to consider not only ir cameras but UWB cameras as well.

Basically, they were developed for special forces soldiers and they use low power radio wave to make images. The main advantage is that they can see through solid objects. However, since they make images that are not visible to the naked eye, who knows but you might find more stuff that other ghost hunters would miss out on.

I could not find a good link for one but my brother is a captain at the local fire department and I believe that he has one. I will drop him an email and see if he knows where to get one.
Can you suggest any others?

Back