• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can 1x 1GB and 2x512mb DDR Be Dual Channel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

My brother a few months ago purchased a 1GB GEIL PC3200 Module for his PC and was later going to purchase another module this month. Unfortunatly the webiste has ran out of stock and it's call for availabity and he says he has and they said they wasn't getting more in stock.

Anyways they do sell the 1GB DC kit 2x 512mb if he bought that and ran the 1GB module and the 2x512mb would he get dual channel. I stated that when I was running 1GB when I first put this PC togther it was runnung nice and fast in single channel.

But he won't listen and insists of running DC so I can't convince this stumpy leaning tower of pizza would it or not.

IT might run Asymetric DC if it's DDR2. I know when I run sticks of my DDR2 CPUz says Asymetric Dual channel/

Are you running them in the lowest indexed DIMM slots?

Meaning 0 and 2, instead of 1 and 3 in a 0-1-2-3 setup.

@ OP: I highly doubt that will run as Dual. I would tell your brother to try and find that stick of RAM from a different distributer. Check the model # carefully, and it should be perfectly fine. Check that link I posted above as well.

Thats the RAM spot on unfortunatly UK vendors are rubbish with this memory most of them have it as Call for Availabity or Not ETA. Newegg don't deliver outside america I think if they did they would earn quite a lot of money I will have to check ebay as well as other Uk vendors.

I have run Dc with 1 gig and 2x512 in older mobo's. When it worked, they had to have the same timings as the 1 gig stick. It did seem to run better in DC.

Back