• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Correct slots for dual channel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grendel0501

I finished building a new pc about a week ago, since then I have been running bench marks and temp tests.
I ran a benchmark from UserBenchmark.com that said my memory benchmark was well below normal, I went into bios and enabled a 'xmp profile' which looked like it automatically overclocked the ram to 3200mhz from the stock 2100 something.
I then ran the benchmark again, still it said I was getting low numbers from my ram. One of the suggestions to fix the problem was that I had my ram in the incorrect slots. I think I put it in the correct dual channel slots, but they were only marked A1,A2,B1 and B2, so I could be wrong.

The board is a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus pro linkand the ram is a 16g (8x2) Gskill TridentZ RGB kit 3200 link.

The Z390 has 4 ram slots, 2 listed as A1 and A2 and the other are B1 and B2.

I put my sticks in A1 and A2. Are these the correct dual channel slots?

Petty sure its a1 and b1 for dual channel. The manual will tell you for sure.

Also, Cpuz will tell you on the memory tab if it is in single or dual channel.

I enjoy the language of product manuals.

"The four memory sockets are divided into two channels and each channel has two memory sockets as following: Channel A: DDR4_A1, DDR4_A2
Channel B: DDR4_B1, DDR4_B2"

I really miss the good old days when they were color coded...

Even after reading this I still assume you're right with A1 and B1, bc every rig I have built had a space inbetween the orignal sticks of ram.
If it is A1 and B1, I have to reseat the heatsink...

If the language isn't clear, the table on the same/next/previous page that shows which slots they are to be installed in may be more helpful.

EDIT: Page 12 in your manual, immediately after the sentence you quoted. :)

mem.jpg

Yeah, CPUZ says its single channel...

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

If the language isn't clear, the table on the same/next/previous page that shows which slots they are to be installed in may be more helpful.

EDIT: Page 12 in your manual, immediately after the sentence you quoted. :)

View attachment 202152

That table is clearly not idiot proof. I see no colors, no large text, and no drawings of a child doing the actions.

I knew my RGB leetness wouldn't make up for my lack of table understandings...

Anything wrong with using A2 and B2 for now? I tried my best but my noctua cooler is in the way of B1, and I'd prefer to just wait a year or so until I upgrade to 32gb to remove it again.

On new 2 channel platforms it's almost always 2 and 4 slot counting from CPU side, regardless how manufacturer called these slots. In these 2 slots, memory can usually work higher but count it more like 1-2 memory ratios higher when on 4 slots it will still make 3600+.

Most of the times are A2/B2 slots. Very specific MBs use A1/B1. Best is to look for your specific MB configuration. Also take notice if it support single or dual rank sticks.

Holding MB with rear panel to the left and ram slots to the right A2/B2 are always 2/4 slots from left to right (if you see 4 slots).

Regards

Most of the times are A2/B2 slots. Very specific MBs use A1/B1. Best is to look for your specific MB configuration. Also take notice if it support single or dual rank sticks.

Holding MB with rear panel to the left and ram slots to the right A2/B2 are always 2/4 slots from left to right (if you see 4 slots).

Regards
This was handled already. :)

As you can see, A1/B1 or A2/B2 are the slots to choose.

Since we're necro-ing, CPU-Z will sometimes (On Giga boards, anyway) count the slots 1-2-3-4 from the one nearest the cpu socket. Giga numbers them 4-2-3-1, as shown.

Giga RAM.JPG

In order (per CPU-Z and motherboard orientation) you can see "dual" clearly in the SPD tab, but the slots are numbered incorrectly.

Giga RAM2.JPG

IN the spirit of further necroing this post, but in order to clarify for future visitors, the A2 and B2 slots, sometimes designated as DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 on some boards, are ALWAYS the second and fourth slots away from the CPU socket going towards the edge of the motherboard and are always the slots primarily recommended for use with two sticks population rules by all motherboard manufacturers for all consumer DDR3 or DDR4 dual channel architecture motherboards since, well, forever.

14ik1hv.jpg

To complicate things further, but not really, since they are still the second and fourth slots from the CPU socket, ASUS has recently either changed the designations of the slots or has completely borked the reference materials from their user manuals, since they show flipped A2 and B2 positions from all prior board architectures, on their Z370 documentation for all the models I've looked at. As seen here. It is STILL the second and fourth slots you want to use though based on manufacturer recommendations. Also, based on memory manufacturer recommendations as well.

10zcx11.jpg

Back