• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can a Hybrid GPU be expanded into a 240mm Rad CPU cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edgerunner

At the moment I have a EVGA 970 Hybrid and I am wondering if I can somehow Tie it In with an EK Fluid Gaming A240, or some equivalent AIO, In my Define Nano S with a Ryzen 1600 OC'd as close to 4.0 as possible????

At the moment I have a EVGA 970 Hybrid and I am wondering if I can somehow Tie it In with an EK Fluid Gaming A240, or some equivalent AIO, In my Define Nano S with a Ryzen 1600 OC'd as close to 4.0 as possible????

You don't cut or tap into an AIO cooler. Either go custom loop for both or do a loop for the card.

You don't cut or tap into an AIO cooler. Either go custom loop for both or do a loop for the card.

While I agree that it may not be the best course of action. I see no reason why you could not cut into a aio and add it to a custom loop. As long as you know which direction the aio pump is pushing and series it with the pump from the kit it should be ok. One major concern I would have though is what metals are used due to corrosion. I would definitely be looking at some sort of anti corrosive additive for the fluid.

So... It has been done. I've seen a couple YouTube videos, but the results were not that impressive. My opinion, so take it with a grain of salt... I think its easier and more effective to either snag an aio for your cpu and run them both standalone or go for a full custom loop. However, if you're confident in your abilities and want to do a project just for fun or the challenge so be it. Just know that the performance may be disappointing and once you cut up the hybrid cooler, you're committed.

I don't recommend on doing this because the EK Fluid Gaming line is their new affordable all aluminum kits. You don't want those kits or any of their parts jiving with any of the standard metals that we use in our loops today like Copper, silver, brass, etc. Aluminum should be left with aluminum alone.

ive wanted to do this. it is such a waste for these aios to be trashed once the pump dies/leaks or they upgrade.
it looks like the gpu block has a copper base from the pics at evga. i would pop the base to see what kind of pump is in there and to confirm the base isnt cruddy from mixing metals. i would cut the tubing off close to the rad. which is likely aluminum. toss the rad. get one of eks proper 360 cpu kits, the liquid 360 looks solid and relatively cheap.
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-kit-l360-r2-0#ow_alert_box
clean the gpu block/pump and tubing really well. get a couple cheap plastic reducer barbs and clamps. maybe $5 at the most. hook it up to the ek kit. the worst that can happen is he will have a sweet start to a quality custom loop.

Back