• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can a virgin NF4 flash with an X2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Otter

Do I need to have a single-core A64 to prepare a Lanparty NF4 for the new X2 dual-core CPU?

I would hope that the stock BIOS would be able to use one of the cores to do a flash, but my searches don't turn up anything one way or the other, and I'd hate to get all the components and then not be able to flash the BIOS. :bang head

That is probably a question for the motherboard manufacturer. It would make sense to be able to me to be able to boot and flash off of the X2, but anything is possible.

I'm asking on their forum too, and if I get an answer, I'll post it here.

It makes sense that it would be able to boot on one core -- the crossbar and everything were there on the single cores and AMD clearly planned all along for dual cores. But some say it won't work, and given that there is an unlimited supply of bad ideas, I thought it would be best not to make assumptions.

Okay, just in case anyone else needs to know if this will work, a DFI employ says it will, and that's been confirmed by an enduser over on Anandtech.
RGone (on dfi-street.com) said:
Let me give you some minor insight about how things often go and maybe you will save yourself MuchO heart-ache. Most any board will boot once. Once and you are ready with floppy and flash to one of the bioses that support X2 and you will likely be alright. BUT fork around in bios and day-dreaming and sight-seeing may well bite you in the the rear-end. Sight-seeing will not be recommended.

Just the barest minimum of parts outside the case with only one stick of the BH-5 stuff in the Orange slot closest the top or upper edge of mobo. 480 WATT; 24 pin native power supply with all 4 power inputs to board hooked up and boot directly to a PRE-readied bios flashing floppy and get one of the X2 bioses flashed.

This is what I would do.

RGone...
Romir (on Anandtech.com) said:
The X2 4400+ booted up as an Unknown Clawhammer on a new DFI NF4 Ultra-D. The bios was easily flashed by a usb boot drive and the cpu is correctly detected with the 6-18 bios (also reportedly with 5-10).

Back