• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can anyone explain to laymen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jshake

Just curious, I noticed that server cpu's cost alot more than other desktop cpu.
I have a freind who is looking to route 5 computers through one server computer.
Can anyone explain why any overclocked cpu ( Like a FX 8150 ), can act like a server cpu. Just trying to learn. Thank you

I'm certainly no expert in this area but I can tell you that it certainly is possible to do what your friend wants to do but I think he has to have a server-based OS to pull it off. With only needing to coordinate 5 computers a single 8150 on a regular motherboard should be fine.

Windows-based server OS's are not cheap but there is very good free stuff out there in the Linux family if one has facility with that sort of thing.

Server CPUs typically have a few things that differenciate them from consumer CPUs:

1. More cache.
2. Designed to work with server chipsets that allow for very high levels of RAM and...
3. Designed to work with server chipsets that allow for multiple CPUs on a single mobo.

Also the power/thermal components of the chips are a consideration to those who want to run them in xU type rack configurations. (Where x is a number that denotes the height of the case. A 1U server is pretty darn slim.)

For the purposes that I am guessing your friend needs it is unlikely he will require a full on server grade type setup.

ubuntu server operating systems work well, apache server i think it is, and it's free.
you can find complete linux from cybex at the book store it covers apache configuration pretty well for around $20.

Back