• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can anyone explain to me what this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's definitely for card support (Though I can't imagine it actually being used that much these days...perhaps a big SCSI RAID card or something)

And to use it, you would remove that bottom harddrive rack.

If you look at this site, there is a picture of the card supports and text stating what they are for:
http://www.chieftec.de/?page=products_show&item=201&k_id=1&language=uk

chieftecpcicardholderpiqn9.jpg

zebkoolindc said:
Its to hold full length cards.

No vid card is full length. I have a 8800Gtx and it is about 4 inches shorter than my full length Raid card.

No present day Vid card is full length. I have a wildcat 4000 that is full length. And a SCSI card card too. I had them in a case that did have supports in it. (an old proliant server)

Backplane setups use this more often than any other configuration.

Here we have a full length I960 single board computer, its missing the expansion plate on the end that it would use to mount to one of the 7 expansion slots.

singleb.jpg

This is a mid tower Chenbro case that has one of the silly "not good for anything" expansion card support. This case was designed to have a drive cage bolt into the area infront of this support so like many supports in modern day cases it is way to short for anything. Notice how the supporting bracket at the end of this single board computer isn't even designed to fit into a support that is only this height? If you ever crack open an older case you will see how they have a support that is full height with the expansion cards.

singleb1.jpg

Another thing.. Cards themselfs are not long enough to reach into the support. They don't even line up with it. Unless it has a bracket like the card above then it is simply a long card and not designed to take advantage of the support.

Last edited:
Back