• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can i get a 6870 and a 6850 to work on this PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ithyphalophobia

So i have had a 6870 and this

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018

PSU for awhile now, and I recently aquired a 6850 from my brother.

I am not great with the hardware part of computers, and I am wondering if it is at all possible to get these two cards to work together on this PSU? It says it is crossfire compatible, but it only has 2 8xPcie and 4 6xPcie, so I figured it would be as simple as putting the Crossfire Cable on and plugging the 6850 into one of the 6xPcie. Apparently not, because my computer will not respond with anything when trying to power it on. Help?

Well, According to AMD, 2x6870s in xfire require a 600w supply, so 700 for a 6850 and a 6870 should be plenty.

Also, it looks like a 6870 requires 2 6 pin connectors, while the 6850 only needs one, so you have enough connectors. Do both cards work individually? If they do, did you try re-seating the 6850 after installing it?

Yea both cards work individually, I tried reseating both, switching positions, and I noticed that if one of the 6xpcie is plugged into a card, even if the other card isn't even plugged in, still absolutely nothing when trying to boot

Did try multiple sockets btw

Thanks for helping :)

Oh also I've always used the two 8 pin to power the 6870, with a 8 to 6 pin adapter... Don't know if that matters

That PSU should be able to do it.
If you can get your hands on a known-good PSU to test with that'll tell you for sure.

Back