• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I reach 240 FPS in BF V with a 3080?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm saying the low resolution TPU uses to test is artificially creating an environment to magnify any CPU differences. The lower the resolution, usually the more the CPU has to work to push more FPS out. How/Why, I have no idea... I just interpret the results. :thup:

At a high level, the higher the resolution, the less the CPU is leaned on by the GPU. This is why at higher resolutions such as 2560x1440 and 4K UHD you don't see much of a difference even with a couple/few generations old CPU. There will always be exceptions, of course. That difference is a lot more at 1080p or TPU's BS 1280x720.

That said, it feels like these Ampere cards, the 3080 and 3090, are even CPU bound to some extent at 1440p trying to push high fps... but I haven't seen or done much testing on that front.

To your point in post 17, I don't buy the conclusion you came up with about more cores/threads helps this game out consider the results. I feel the 9% can be gained by a couple hundred CPU MHz, any IPC increases, and the larger cache sizes of Comet Lake (along with their curiously low res they use). I think I said earlier you'd likely get a few/several % and that is what we're seeing...at that low arse res anyway. Less as it goes higher.

The difference from i9 9900k to 10700k I think it is intel BIOS security patches.
Maybe... Comet Lake has some hardware mitigations.. but my point is that it isn't a core and thread difference.

Last edited:
At least with some games, you ironically, possibly have the roughly same chance of getting 240 FPS at 1080p with a Radeon RX5700XT or a GeForce GTX 1660 Super or a GeForce RTX 2060 on a Ryzen 7 3700X or a Core i9 10900K. Maybe the Core i5 10600K?

Last edited:
At least with some games, you ironically, possibly have the roughly same chance of getting 240 FPS at 1080p with a Radeon RX5700XT or a GeForce GTX 1660 Super or a GeForce RTX 2060 on a Ryzen 7 3700X or a Core i9 10900K. Maybe the Core i5 10600K?
You'd still have less of a chance with all of those cards. They're potatoes compared to a 3080.

You'd still have less of a chance with all of those cards. They're potatoes compared to a 3080.

Well, my last post, was only for games that are CPU heavy and the 3080s had to wait, due to a CPU bottleneck, LOL. Of course, I'd expect the 3080s to smoke almost everything else, when it comes to minimum frame rates.

Well, my last post, was only for games that are CPU heavy and the 3080s had to wait, due to a CPU bottleneck, LOL. Of course, I'd expect the 3080s to smoke almost everything else, when it comes to minimum frame rates.
Ahh, good to know. Thanks for clarifying.

Ahh, good to know. Thanks for clarifying.

And then in the Halo series, I normally have a much higher ping than what my FTTH is capable of! But that's not even the worst of it. The worst comes when I start getting packet loss.

With PC MCC, you're better off with a higher res at 75 FPS. (Probably DirectX11)

With Halo Custom Edition, which is version 1x, thus DirectX9, almost any video card made in the late-2010s will reach the 200s.

I'm saying the low resolution TPU uses to test is artificially creating an environment to magnify any CPU differences. The lower the resolution, usually the more the CPU has to work to push more FPS out. How/Why, I have no idea... I just interpret the results. :thup:

At a high level, the higher the resolution, the less the CPU is leaned on by the GPU. This is why at higher resolutions such as 2560x1440 and 4K UHD you don't see much of a difference even with a couple/few generations old CPU. There will always be exceptions, of course. That difference is a lot more at 1080p or TPU's BS 1280x720.

That said, it feels like these Ampere cards, the 3080 and 3090, are even CPU bound to some extent at 1440p trying to push high fps... but I haven't seen or done much testing on that front.

To your point in post 17, I don't buy the conclusion you came up with about more cores/threads helps this game out consider the results. I feel the 9% can be gained by a couple hundred CPU MHz, any IPC increases, and the larger cache sizes of Comet Lake (along with their curiously low res they use). I think I said earlier you'd likely get a few/several % and that is what we're seeing...at that low arse res anyway. Less as it goes higher.

Maybe... Comet Lake has some hardware mitigations.. but my point is that it isn't a core and thread difference.

Coming from i5 8600, Looks like there is great performance to be gained with 1920x1080p and 10700k in Battlefield V he gets up to 300 FPS.;)

Been wondering if it's almost pointless to even get an RTX 30 series with online e-sports multiplayer game playing, at least the Halo series, as the ping usually bottlenecks even an RX580.

OTOH, GTA V seems to be more of a "give it all what your video card has" game, even online-multiplayer.

Been wondering if it's almost pointless to even get an RTX 30 series with online e-sports multiplayer game playing, at least the Halo series, as the ping usually bottlenecks even an RX580.

OTOH, GTA V seems to be more of a "give it all what your video card has" game, even online-multiplayer.
??

Ping holds back a gpu??? First time I've heard of this....please elaborate...

??

Ping holds back a gpu??? First time I've heard of this....please elaborate...

Well with online multiplayer, to avoid a desync, don't be surprised if some games are tied more directly to the server ping. And thus in some cases, you will be lucky to get 60 real FPS.

BTW, I thought I saw a time on Halo Custom Edition (DirectX9) not too long ago, where it looked like I was at only roughly 15 to 30 FPS!

Well with online multiplayer, to avoid a desync, don't be surprised if some games are tied more directly to the server ping. And thus in some cases, you will be lucky to get 60 real FPS.

BTW, I thought I saw a time on Halo Custom Edition (DirectX9) not too long ago, where it looked like I was at only roughly 15 to 30 FPS!
OK...

But that isn't how it LOOKS to the user. What the server ping is doing on the backend doesn't have anything to do with client side and how smooth it looks with the higher FPS.

OK...

But that isn't how it LOOKS to the user. What the server ping is doing on the backend doesn't have anything to do with client side and how smooth it looks with the higher FPS.

Of course, despite that, even Halo seems to let me have a lot of FPS, but if there's a server issue, prepare for the dreaded "rubber-band-effect".

You can rubberband on any FPS... THAT is server back-end, not an FPS to server relationship.;)

Well Newegg had a sale on the i9 9900k for $379.99, so I have it.:clap: I tried running it at 5.0GHz and it crashed 3 times and messed up HDR in BFV, had to use my backup BFV. So I believe the Gigabyte Z370-HD3 motherboard can't stabilize the processor clocked at 5.0GHz all cores. I can not reproduce the BFV video FPS in post #27. Thinking I need 3080?

That board has MEH vrms/cooling. I read a review where they overclocked an 8700k to 4.9 ghz but used active cooling (fan) on the vrm. 8700k is not a 9900k when it comes to power....

But yeah, board is MEH for this cpu and activity.

You're flashed to the latest bios, correct?

As far as what you need next.... that video is running 10th gen cpu and a 2080ti....so at least that on the gpu side.. the 9900k may shave a few fps off but who knows.

Last edited:
The BIOS I'm using is on the compatibility list. The latest bios has security mitigations and lowers performance. The gigabyte HD3 VRM was not made for 8c 16t.

Back