• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can i use 70% isopropyl alchohol to clean the Arctic Alumina off my AMD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
JKeefe said:
Any chemistry lab will have lots of 100% solvents, including IPA.

ahh, well i don't have the connections to a lab:( but im sure i could make some:)

tbates757 said:
Sure, I suppose you could use 70%, it will just take longer to dry than say 91% isopropyl alcohol. Keep in mind the remaining percentage is distilled water, and give it enough time to evaporate under a fan or something so you don't fry your components *raises hand* I fried a CPU because I used 70% and apparently didn't give it enough time to dry, and learned the hard way. Good thing it was only a $50 1600+

how long did u give it to dry??? will have an hour (30 mins) suffice???

Negative rubbing alcohol as it contains water. Go to a hardware store or Lowes and get yourslf a can of OOPS or GOOFOFF. Personally I use OOPS carefully applied several times with a Q tip then soaked up with a dry one after each application. Don't let the liquid run down on the chip, try and keep it strictly on the die. From a distance, blow the lint off when you're done.

Follow the application directions at the Arctic Silver website to the letter. You'll only need a glob about the size of a grain of rice and I spread it evenly with a credit card. Don't get the compound on the chip, keep it on the die. Very precise almost surgical procedure here, so take your time and do it right. To put it in terms we can relate to: You want a layer of compound the thickness of Scotch tape. Believe it or not . . .

http://www.mysuperpc.com/cpu_cooler.shtml
Scroll down about a fourth of the page and read the instructions.

"how long did u give it to dry??? will have an hour (30 mins) suffice???" No Sir, it does not need to dry and is meant to be applied wet and the HS mounted immediately while the compound is freshly applied and still "wet."

The CPU die is not lapped smooth and level but has ridges and mounds, peaks and valleys that need to be filled in by the compound BECAUSE the HS is what is suppose to be level and smooth and press the compound down into the uneven surface of the CPU die. The die is that copper looking square thing in the middle. (Not "talking down to you" here, just trying to make it clear what we are trying to accomplish.)

The compound presses down in the die and the smooth HS surface then makes total contact with the compound and now we have a good seal between the two. Once you mount the HS do not remove it, lock it in place and you're ready to rock.

Like I said, read the link above. Best decrease in temp I ever saw using Arctic Silver with this cooler http://www.nexfan.com/evcucoacofrs1.html is about five degrees Celsius.

Long, hot, busy day and this OldBird is tired and hitting the hay. Holler if you need more help.

My local grocery store sells 91% isopropyl alcohol right next to the 70%, I'm sure everyone else's does too -f

FatChance said:
My local grocery store sells 91% isopropyl alcohol right next to the 70%, I'm sure everyone else's does too -f

weird never seen it, gonna hafta check again:D

huneycutt said:
"how long did u give it to dry??? will have an hour (30 mins) suffice???" No Sir, it does not need to dry and is meant to be applied wet and the HS mounted immediately while the compound is freshly applied and still "wet."

I think hes talking about the rubbing alcohol, not the as3... but im not sure about 30 min...

Back