• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can i use a 3pin fan splitter on my AIO?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

ok so heres the dilemma im in. i recently upgraded to an all in one liquid cooler for my hp Z400 desktop, and the power connector for the pump doesnt reach the cpu fan power header so i was wondering if i could use the 4pin fan splitter i have on my AIO liquid cooling pump so that the pump can reach the correct header. as u can tell from the pic of my pump it has a small extension cable with a 5th wire that 5th wire is designed to tell the computer that im using a high powered cpu fan for my 6 core xeon cpu.

Everytime I boot up the PC it says: "517-Low Power CPU Heatsink(s) detected for High Power CPU(s)"

the motherboard is seeing no ground contact at pin 5. The Performance fan has a ground jumper wire from pin 1 to pin 5.

right now i have the pump plugged into a 4pin header but because of this the 5th wire isnt able to tell the mobo that im using the correct heatsink for my cpu can i use the 4 pin splitter on my AIO pump since it has a separate plug as seen in the pix below

dont wanna ruin or damage my aio setup

HTB1DYpINXXXXXaQXXXXq6xXFXXXE.jpg PER.813075.jpg

Attachments

• s-l640 (1).jpg
    s-l640 (1).jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 473
The picture is not clear enough or have given US the model of the AIO. I will still try to see if I can help :)
In the picture, it looks like the AIO 4 pin power connector is 1" ~ 2" long. Then there is a specialized 4 pin to 5 pin connector for the motherboard. If this is correct then all you need to do is place YOUR 4 pin cable in-between the AIO's 4pin and the SPECIALIZED 4 pin to 5 pin motherboard cable.
If the AIO is wired as a 5 pin product, then someone else will need to step in this morning....sorry bad night :(

The picture is not clear enough or have given US the model of the AIO. I will still try to see if I can help :)
In the picture, it looks like the AIO 4 pin power connector is 1" ~ 2" long. Then there is a specialized 4 pin to 5 pin connector for the motherboard. If this is correct then all you need to do is place YOUR 4 pin cable in-between the AIO's 4pin and the SPECIALIZED 4 pin to 5 pin motherboard cable.
If the AIO is wired as a 5 pin product, then someone else will need to step in this morning....sorry bad night :(

judging from looking inside my case it looks the the 4-5pin cable is seperate from the main cable coming out of the pump

Agreed in that we need to know what make and modle your AIO is. In which case I would then google the manual to figure out what a 5 pin connector is and how they expect you to use it.

Back