• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can Intel MATRIX Raid be used?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vanessab

Can Intel Matrix Raid be used with 2x 36.7gb Raptors or are they too small? What would be the best stripe(day to day usage, games) for Intel Matrix Raid?

Im sorry, im unfamiliar. Can you please expand more on "using the top 20" ? Thank you

He's saying you could create a RAID0 array with 10GB off each disk to make a 20GB total array. Then you'd have about 24GB left to make a RAID1 array for data. You could adjust the size between the two to whatever fits your needs.

what about an intel matrix raid with both being raid 0 ? Didnt they do that in that big matrix thread? I wont have anything important on there.

tuskenraider said:
He's saying you could create a RAID0 array with 10GB off each disk to make a 20GB total array. Then you'd have about 24GB left to make a RAID1 array for data. You could adjust the size between the two to whatever fits your needs.

Only 44gb total?

Using 2 x 36.7 Raptors, roughly 73gb. What will windows recognize, maybe only 68gb? And then after I stripe them, what will i have left?

Last edited:
You could make a volume of the 73GB as RAID-0 or a small RAID-0 volume and the remainder in another RAID configuration(0 or 1). The trick for getting exreme speed out of the RAID-0 is to use the beginning of the drive to create your array. This allows the fastest access due to short stroking the drive.

what about an intel matrix raid with both being raid 0 ?
If that's possible, I didn't see that it was based on my quick reading on the subject. I couldn't see how two RAID0 arrays would be any faster than having two partitions on one RAID0 array. With two RAID0 arrays, one is just gonna benchmark better since it's using the outer edge of the drive(faster), big deal. Either way, the OS and programs will be on the outer edge with one array or two since that's first thing you install and the drive fills up inward, so the speed will be the same, unless there's some other wonderful technology within the matrix array I missed.

Only 44gb total?
About that with a RAID0 and RAID 1 matrix array at the size above used in the example. The RAID0 array will be the total amount of space you choose to use. 20GB array will be 10GB off each drive as noted. While you may have a total of 48GB left on both drives to do another RAID0 array if that's possible, RAID1 is mirroring and all data is copied twice. So all data is copied once to each 24GB space left on each drive and will still remiain on the good drive if one drive crashes. Of course your RAID0 array will be gone and that data lost.

Using 2 x 36.7 Raptors, roughly 73gb. What will windows recognize, maybe only 68gb? And then after I stripe them, what will i have left?
Windows sees 34.4GB. So you can make a 69GB RAID0 array or two RAID0 arrays totaling 69GB if thats possible.

Last edited:
Back