• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can memory still be unreliable even if it passes memtest?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I've had this problem in the past where I can run 8 hours or more of memtest testing and still have issues in Windows (XP or 7). I know I used to have this problem w/my old q9550 system and now I think I'm having it w/my SB-E i7-3820. Is the Windows 7 memory test more indicative of memory reliability in Windows 7 than memtest?

I would ask Woomack as he is the RAM KING on here, my friend. As for your problem not being to good at these things, some one mention about Pins in the Socket not contacting the CPU properly!! But i would ask others for there 10c first about this.

AJ.

Only 8 hours? One person person ran MemTest86 or MemTest86+ for days without finding anything, but then he ran Gold Memory, and in just over an hour it reported an error, but it had to run over 9 hours more to find it again.

ThZDVrM.jpg

I'm not saying Gold Memory is better than the other diagnostics, just that each one can give different results (even MemTest86 and MemTest86+ do, despite being based on the same test methods), so you should try several.

OC tests the memory it reviews with a $$$ PhD RST card, which is better than any of the free diagnostics or even the pay version of Gold Memory, and I'm sure Woomack will let you borrow it. :D

Memtest86+ is not finding all memory controller issues ( even though latest version is much better ) so sometimes even if it passes 24h memtest then in system from time to time you can see errors. As larrymoencurly said, best is to check couple of tests if you have any issues.

What kind of time period for testing memory would be recommended? Would it be OK to maintain the same memory bus speed and reduce the multiplier on the CPU to the minimum (since I don't want be sucking 130 Watts or more for hours/days on end)? Would it be OK to disconnect all the HDD's, DVD-RW+ and put in a low power PCI video card for these long term memory testing purposes?

What kind of time period for testing memory would be recommended? Would it be OK to maintain the same memory bus speed and reduce the multiplier on the CPU to the minimum (since I don't want be sucking 130 Watts or more for hours/days on end)? Would it be OK to disconnect all the HDD's, DVD-RW+ and put in a low power PCI video card for these long term memory testing purposes?
You can remove all that stuff for testing the memory, and you may even want to unplug the case fans to make the memory run hotter. I cover the modules with anti-static foam sheet or bubble wrap to make them run hotter.

When RealWorldTech.com reviewed memory diagnostics, only 14 years ago, it ran each diagnostic at least 12 hours per module, including with special defective test modules furnished by Micron.

Back