• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can microsoft afford to release another ME edition?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think win 8 is a great operating system.....for mobile devices, of which I want to buy a Asus transformer running win 8 (already got a tf-201 with keyboard) and a win 8 smartphone (hopefully lumia 920) However for keyboard/mouse/trackpad, it sucks. I tried it on my laptop and hated the interface, but loved many of the new features, it really does run fast.

I figure win 8 will still be a 'success' on desktop because of all the OEM sales. You buy what is installed on your HP box from wal-mart.

My personal view on MS roadmap to success is this,

1) have windows 8 be a true dual-interface OS, metro for mobile devices and desktop with start button for keyboard/mouse computers.

2) Go wild on enterprise features on both win 8 and win phone 8 to attract business adoption and BYOD integration with your company, corporate adoption will drive consumer adoption, just like it did during the early PC days. Consumers can justify buying and learning win 8 devices because they can work from home. Also if an employee loses their phone or tablet, a quick call to company IT can lock/encrypt the device so no corp data is compromised.

3) MS should buy both nokia and RIM, nokia phones and tablets for consumer class devices and RIM phones and tablets for business class devices with motorola providing all those patents for protection in the ongoing patent wars.

4) bring back windows home server and have it service all your devices, including tablets, phones, pc, laptop, gaming console as well as being platform agnostic apple, android, blackberry, whatever. have it with features like remote lockout, wipe, and location finding, a dropbox-like folder sharing, stuff like that, go wild with home-server and make it a must-have hub for your growing constellation of devices.

Back