• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can SpeedFan control 3-pin header fans via voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GearingMass

I'm about to build a new water-cooled rig with an ASRock Z97 OC Formula, and I'm wondering if I can plug in some case fans to the 3-pin headers of the MB and just use SpeedFan to control their speed via voltage control - is this possible?

Move on past speed fan. Old application. Wonky at times. Buy a fan controller or have your fan plugged into your mobo.

Move on past speed fan. Old application. Wonky at times. Buy a fan controller or have your fan plugged into your mobo.

Well unless I have a fan controller, it will be plugged into the mobo, just possibly 3-pin headers.

The Z97 OC Formula has 2 4-pin and 4 3-pin headers.
One 4-pin will have all the rad fans on a powered splitter.
The other 4-pin is planned to be occupied by the pump header.
That leaves 2 front case fans and the rear exhaust to be RPM controlled somehow. So either a fan controller, or voltage control somehow.

You want to PWM control a pump? Which pump? And why would you want to do that?

Also, just get Swiftech PWM hub or Phanteks PWM-to-Voltage hub and include the remaining fans.

You want to PWM control a pump? Which pump? And why would you want to do that?

Also, just get Swiftech PWM hub or Phanteks PWM-to-Voltage hub and include the remaining fans.

It's the Swiftech MCP50X.
I mean, I suppose I don't need to, but do I really want it running at 100% speed all the time?

The only thing up in the air is the intakes and the rear exhaust (all the non-rad fans), so I suppose I could just plug those into 3-pin and let them run at 100%. I'd consider a fan controller, but seeing as those fans aren't super close to the front 5.25 bays, I don't know if that is the easiest solution.

Some boards can control the voltage on the 3 pin... not sure if that board can, but it may... ;)

Well if any board can, I'm guessing this one can, but I wasn't able to find the specifics on ASRock's site.

If you have control of the header via the bios, you should be able to do it. A 3 pin of course can only control by voltage, but it may still be fan % in the bios.

If you have control of the header via the bios, you should be able to do it. A 3 pin of course can only control by voltage, but it may still be fan % in the bios.

I'm guessing so, it's a pretty darn good board.
I'm not looking for precision control of those fans, so as long as it's safe for the fans & it works, I'd be happy.

Well if any board can, I'm guessing this one can, but I wasn't able to find the specifics on ASRock's site.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97 OC Formula/

CPU_FAN1 - PWM , CPU_FAN2 - Voltage - shared control (probably a bucky) using CPU_TEMP sensor to set input for ramp/curve

CHA_FAN1 - PWM , probably using CPU_TEMP, but "independent" PWM channel , can set its own ramp/curve

All others 3-pin Voltage: two with "fine" control (fixed level 1-9) , one with coarse control (fixed level 1-5)

This is much more clear in the uefi bios

Note fan speeds/% can be set in the AXTU or F-Stream software also

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97 OC Formula/

CPU_FAN1 - PWM , CPU_FAN2 - Voltage - shared control (probably a bucky) using CPU_TEMP sensor to set input for ramp/curve

CHA_FAN1 - PWM , probably using CPU_TEMP, but "independent" PWM channel , can set its own ramp/curve

All others 3-pin Voltage: two with "fine" control (fixed level 1-9) , one with coarse control (fixed level 1-5)

This is much more clear in the uefi bios

Note fan speeds/% can be set in the AXTU or F-Stream software also

Thanks for the clarity!

Back