• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you free up drive letter B:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
A: is reserved for first floppy and B: for second floppy, but if you only have one floppy, can you free up drive letter B: and still keep A: assigned to the one floppy drive you have?

Am I missing something or is that entire thing just variations on the regular way to assign available drive letters?

The question was how to assign drive letter B: to an internal hard drive since B: is normally reserved for removable drives only.

Edit:
By simply disabling the floppy in BIOS, you can assign either A or B to an internal hard drive in Windows 7.

But I guess not in Windows XP?

Last edited:
B is an option for me on my work and home computer for any drive on the system.

Do you have the floppy's disabled in the bios? Maybe that will fre up the drive letter?

It is an option for me as well...but I normally disable all floppy's as I have none.

I understand the question you asked. Let me rephrase my response...

Do you have the ability in your bios to disable the other floppy and leave the one you need active?

You should be able to. I'm using windows 7 ultimate 32bit and I have my 1TB hard drive in 3 partitions:

A: for Games partition, B: for Storage partition, C: for the system partition. I have no floppy drives and I disabled them in my bios as everyone else has suggested. Used the disk management as well to change them since they were originally D: and E:

A: is reserved for first floppy and B: for second floppy, but if you only have one floppy, can you free up drive letter B: and still keep A: assigned to the one floppy drive you have?

Are you using XP? I'm not sure if there is a work around but by default you can't use A or B for anything other than floppies.

You should be able to. I'm using windows 7 ultimate 32bit and I have my 1TB hard drive in 3 partitions:

:

Starting with Vista they freed up the A and B names to be used I'm guessing since floppies are all but extinct.

Are you using XP? I'm not sure if there is a work around but by default you can't use A or B for anything other than floppies.
On Windows XP Professional SP3, I just assigned my flash drive to the A drive.

windowsxp_adrive.png

That would make sense. Let me try on my home computer where I have a second drive.

EDIT: Bah, I can't. I have the Page File on it.

Even if Legacy Diskette A is disabled in BIOS, neither A nor B drive letters become available for hard dives, only removable drives.

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ASUS EAH4850 Radeon HD 4850 1GB DDR3 @ 625 MHz GPU & 1986 MHz Memory
OCZ Agility 60GB SSD
Asus Xonar DX sound card
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

Last edited:
If anyone feels up for testing one more thing:

1. Disable Legacy Diskette A in BIOS

2. Open DOS Command Prompt, then enter:

diskpart

list volume

select volume n

[to select the volume, where n is the volume's number whose drive letter you want to assign]

assign letter=B

Change, add, or remove a drive letter

microsoft.com said:
You can assign the letters C through Z to each drive on your computer. A and B are usually reserved for floppy disk drives, but if your computer does not have floppy disk drives, you can assign A and B to volumes. You can see which drive letters are used on your computer by opening Computer.

It's interesting to note the way it is explained it sounds like if you have a floppy drive you are unable to map either A or B. BUT if you have NO floppy drive you can map either. Snafulicious. :thup:

Ditch the floppy, who needs it. :D

Furthermore, regarding post #13 of this thread, that appears to be no-go as well:

Attachments

• NoDriveBusingDISKPART.jpg
    NoDriveBusingDISKPART.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 876
Last edited:
If there is no floppy, or to put it your way, if the floppy is physically removed from the system, I believe you can only assign letters A or B to removable drives, not internal hard drives.

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/hardware/24355-forcing-usb-floppy-drive-assigned.html said:
There were 2 separate points in the BIOS that I had to change - it may depend on your PC, but I had to disable the floppy disk controller (FDC) on the onboard devices screen and also set both A: and B: to None on the disk setup screen. Obviously that will vary from BIOS to BIOS but if you're struggling to follow my clear as mud explanation I can take some shots.

:thup:

Are you attempting to change the letter of an internal hard drive to A or B?

Can you clarify that since my understanding is that A and B are only for removable/external drives. I guess I should also reboot into Windows 7 and away from XP to replicate your findings.

Back