• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Can you mix Corsair Vengeance RAM color types?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GamerXtreme3K

Registered
I was wondering if you could mix different Corsair Vengeance RAM colors. I want to buy a PC from CyberPower, but it only has the default black color RAM. Can you mix Red and Black? I was going to get 2 4GB black Corsair Vengeance sticks from cyberpowerpc, then buy 2 red ones from newegg, if it's possible to mix the two types.

Does anyone know if you can mix the two colors?

I was going to build my own Gaming PC, but when I finally added up each part I needed, it was almost exactly the same price as CyberPower's computer I customized on their website, and they are professionals so I figured I'd just let them build it for me. :D

Thank you for answering my question :D

My setup could be better, but my budget only allows a GTX 660 instead of the better cards like the 770. I have never built a computer before; I know how, but I don't want to risk messing up my system. Cyberpower probably knows what they are doing a lot better than me.

Parts:
Case - Cooler Master HAF-X
MBoard - MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Mainboard
CPU - Intel Core i7 4770K
Fan - CyberPower Xtreme Hydro 360MM ($200 or so system)
GPU - nVidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB (EVGA Superclocked)
RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2 x Black version)
HDD - 128GB Corsair Force GS Series
CDD - Standard 24X DVD/CD drive
PSU - Corsair 600W CX600 V2
OS - Windows 8 64-bit

PRICE: $1,400 (includes professional wiring, custom laser engraving, +10% OC, and thermal compound)

I've tried getting all of the components from newegg and amazon, but it's about the same price. :)

Is $1400 how much you're willing to spend on a computer? What are you using it for?

If you try to get the exact same parts, it'll come out the same. But what Cyperpower doesn't tell you is that i5s perform nearly the same as i7s in gaming, or that even 8GB of RAM is plenty. That PSU is overkill for a single card, and that case is gigantic and expensive. All ways that they milk more money out of someone who doesn't know better. :)

With $1400, you can afford a 770. Or at least something better than that 660. Get an i5 instead of i7. Do the OC yourself. Get only 8GB of RAM. Don't get the most expensive motherboard. Get a mid-tower case. Get a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 CPU cooler. Buy your own thermal compound for like $7. And of course, shop around the sales on Newegg.

That rig will have much better price/performance ratio than the CyberPower one.

Thank you all for the suggestions! :) I know that some of the stuff was way overkill, but I planned on getting dual 660's in the future, and maybe two 780s because those just look awesome. I'll look at the i5 processors with lower MBoards and different configs. :)

What I really want out of my PC is the ability to run Skyrim on Ultra settings + a lot of flora overhauls with some of the best texture mods out there, but with zero lag. I was also going to get Tomb Raider and I wanted to play it on ultimate settings with no lag.

I just built my pc on cyberpowerpc.com and compared it with newegg.com build it myself parts

I have discovered that it is actually about $100 CHEAPER on cyberpowerpc

(I think the reason(s) is/are because the OS is cheaper, the HDD is slightly cheaper, and everything else (except a lot of the GPUs) is pretty much slightly cheaper and the $5-$20 on each thing adds up when it's finished. I noticed that the GTX 780 was $100 more expensive, though.)

I went with the i5 4670k, the cooler master hyper 212, gtx 660, the 8gb of ram and everything you all suggested except my huge $200 case and the msi za7-g45 Mboard, because I'm willing to buy that just simply because it looks cool lol

Any suggestions will be welcome and I will definitely look at all of them and try them out, so thank you in advance :)

Last edited:
Because they look awesome? Someone has a lot of money to throw around...a computer is a tool, not a toy. ;)

I'll put together a build to show you as an example.

Last edited:
Because they look awesome? Someone has a lot of money to throw around...a computer is a tool, not a toy. ;)

I'll put together a build to show you as an example.

Well, there is something to be said for the "looks cool" factor haha. If I didn't care about my computer looking cool, I wouldn't have bought a case with a window, or lights, or sleeved cables, or cared about cable management.

That said, I still think building offers better value than what CyberPower has to offer.

Your wallet would also probably be a hundred or two fatter...those little costs add up very fast. That could've been the difference between your 7950 or a 7970/770, for example.

It's things like those is why the OP can't seem to beat Cyberpower's build.

To the OP...you also got a 128GB SSD and no hard drive...you'd run out of space extremely fast.

For less than $1200, you get the i5-4670k, a GTX 770, 1TB HDD, 128GB SSD, 8GB RAM, and the necessary power and cooling to run it. This leaves you with over $200 to buy the biggest, baddest case out there and still meet your budget with better hardware than the original build.

Attachments

• 1400 build.JPG
    1400 build.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 1,655
Somehow I missed the part where he said he wanted to CF/SLI in the future, overall though our builds are very similar.

Your wallet would also probably be a hundred or two fatter...those little costs add up very fast. That could've been the difference between your 7950 or a 7970/770, for example.

It's things like those is why the OP can't seem to beat Cyberpower's build.

To the OP...you also got a 128GB SSD and no hard drive...you'd run out of space extremely fast.
Yes, I know that 128GB is very small, I was going to buy a Hard drive from newegg because it's cheaper than cyberpower's website 500 GB hard drives which cost $70.

What video card would be good for Skyrim on maxed out settings with a lot of HD texture mods installed? Cyberpower says that you can get 40-50 frames on tomb raider with ultimate settings with the OC'ed cpu and a gtx 660.

I'm planning on buying this gaming pc for Xmas. I don't really know what I'm doing, but you and everyone else is helping a lot so thank you :)

Oh...if you're buying it for Christmas...than anything we suggest now is useless. There's probably going to be an entire new line of GPUs released around then (Radeon 9000 series if rumor holds true).

Found a $1,300 setup

- Cooler Master HAF-X (Custom Laser Engraving) :)
- MSI Z87-G45 Gaming MBoard (Cheapest one cyberpowerpc.com has)
- i5 4670K
- CyberPower 360mm liquid cooling fan* (looks absolutely awesome)
- EVGA SC'ed GTX 660 2GB
- 8GB RAM
- 750W PSU (for future additional GPU)
- 128GB SSD
- 500GB HDD
- 24X DVD/CD drive
- Windows 7/8 Home Premium 64-bit

*Can get an Asetek 570LX 240mm for $50 cheaper, but it is louder and isn't as 'cool looking.'

Think I got everything, but is this good for the price or not?

Back