• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing 1.2v RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paul Anderegg

Have some Corsair Vengeance LPX 1.2v 2666 sticks that I am using the stock XMP profile with MB BIOS pushed up to 3000 with no issues. It's a 32GB kit, and I was thinking of pushing it a bit further while waiting a year or two for Intel 10nm and DDR5 to mature. Stable at 3000MHz 1.2v for a few years with stock XMP enabled...what should this be capable of if I am happy just taking it to 1.35v and manually playing around with timings? Am not sure if 1.2v RAM is 1.2v for some weird reason that I am not aware of other than run cooler?

PC is an i9-9900K and I am planning to get a new 4K 120Hz TV in a couple of months, so my CPU might benefit from faster RAM speeds pushing that type of frame-rate to my 3080 Ti since I game in 4K?

What I have now -> https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...EANCE-LPX/p/CMK32GX4M2A2666C16#tab-tech-specs

Paul

If it's fine for you then I see no reason to push it more but if you want to OC it higher then every DDR4 IC is scaling at least up to 1.5V without problems. I don't know what chips are in this memory kit as Corsair was using everything in Vengeance series, but if it made 3000 1.2V then should make 3600+ at higher voltages. I don't think there are Samsung B chips. I would say Micron, Hynix or Nanya and each of these IC should make 3600 and CL16-19-19, or in the worst case something like CL18-20-20 1.35-1.50V.

Perfect, that was the semi-generic-target suggestion I was looking for. I will double check what 3600 speeds do vs 3000 in the applications I will be using to see if it would even be beneficial.

Paul

Typically 0-5%, but in most cases more like 1% performance gain. You can still check how much it gives in your applications.
It's like the most significant difference is between 2133-2666 and 3200. Above 3600 it's barely visible. Going from 3000 to 3600 can still have some point, so good luck with tests :)

Yeah, I have seen some YT videos in the past comparing performance, and most of it showed best gains for AMD or for ultra high fps CPU limited
gaming.

Paul

Back