• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot run all EXEs except from command line

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

data1

Hi
I just did a fresh windows vista install on my laptop and the problem I'm having is that I cannot run most of the EXE files by clicking at them... (nothing happens when i try to run them)
(I was only able to install firefox by EXE.)

what I discovered is that I need to run those EXEs from the command line, then they run.

so does anyone know how to fix this?

I tried the instructions in here but that only messed things up and did not help.

thx

EDIT: I also tried turning all virus software off but that didnt help...

Last edited:
Running Vista is part of your problem. Mainstream support for Vista ended in 2012, and MS will stop Extended support in 6 months. I'm guessing that you are trying to install the latest versions of application. Most, probably are unable to be installed. You may have to think about a more up to date os.

Sounds like you must have a pretty old laptop. I'm wondering if the hard drive has bad sectors and data is being corrupted during the installation.

First, I would download and install CrystaldiskInfo (standard version) to check the "Smartdrive" info on the laptop. If you get a little musical jingle and colors other than blue when you run that program, your hard drive is most likely failing.

If it passes CrystaldiskInfo, then run these two scans from Command Prompt as admin in this order:

chkdsk /f /r

and

sfc /scannow

Please realize that the first scan (chkdsk) will likely take several hours to finish. It may seem to get stuck at 10-11% but it is working. Let it finish.

And as mimart7 posted, your Vista OS is essentially obsolete. In a few months Microsoft will drop extended support for it and you will get no more security updates. But worse than that, the browser companies will no long support Vista so your browser will get further and further behind the evolving technology of the internet and you will be running into web pages that no longer load or don't load correctly. Chrome has already stopped support for Vista and Firefox will soon, I'm sure. You will only be able to use older versions of their browsers. The other question is, can you upgrade to a newer OS on that laptop? Is it compatible with Win 7 or Win 10? You would need to investigate that.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies.

the reason I installed vista was because its what this laptop came with and it's in the recovery partition of the HD.

my main concern with new OS is the speed. I already tried ubuntu which seems to be fast enough. only that I need to run some windows games too so WINE maybe the option, but I'm inexperienced with that so I was hoping to avoid going through the process. And WINE may lag too so...

windows 7 is my next option. The laptop is pretty old so I guess I just have to test if it works...

I would check the health of your hard drive before you put any money in it to upgrade the OS.

I would check the health of your hard drive before you put any money in it to upgrade the OS.

Definitely. I ran CrystaldiskInfo and it immediately showed everything blue.. I did not start any check, is this how the program is supposed to work?

running chkdsk now.

thx

Ok I ran all the tests which trents suggested but the problem remains. I can run about half the EXEs without command line and the rest need it. So its not so bad problem. Still would like to get it solved.

What is the make and model of the laptop?

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely. I ran CrystaldiskInfo and it immediately showed everything blue.. I did not start any check, is this how the program is supposed to work?

running chkdsk now.

thx

That's all you need to do with the program. Just launch it. Blue and no music alarm is good to go.

Sounds like it should work. Sometimes you get a "Standard Microsoft VGA Adapter" in place of a real 3D hardware accelerated driver for the IGP in these scenarios but other than that . . .

If you don't use the machine to play demanding games it will be of no real consequence.

Sounds like it should work. Sometimes you get a "Standard Microsoft VGA Adapter" in place of a real 3D hardware accelerated driver for the IGP in these scenarios but other than that . . .

If you don't use the machine to play demanding games it will be of no real consequence.

yeah this is just my secondary PC which i might use while travelling. and the games not 3D which i planned to play. (the 3D card in this laptop is poor anyhow)

My desktop has a similar problem. NZXT is such crap. Their latest cam installer v3.1.71 refuses to install complaining there's something wrong with installer itself, not the crappy nzxt cam ap. For ages grid+ refuses to work, the only reason I bought it. Plus I cannot install tinywall but PrivateFW works ??? Time to do a fresh format I guess., that and buy an actual fan controller. nzxt is @#^%&GFD$^*NJL! No offense to any big fans out there. If I can't get it to work on a fresh install of 7 I'm going to smash it with a hammer.

Back