• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Cannot Use IE After Update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neo668

I have a Windows 8.1 Pro system. Today I couldn't use IE. The web pages just won't connect. So I used Google Chrome which had no problems whatsoever.

So I reinstalled Windows 8.1 Pro. After installation I could use IE again. Then I decided to update and there were over 20 updates. I did all of them. After the updates I couldn't use IE again. Don't know which update broke IE. But I'm using Chrome again.

Just a FYI.

that's a bit funny, but you could go through the updates and remove them one by one
go to programs in control panel, then hit "show windows updates" or something similar, sort by date and start removing from the latest or look at the names, maybe one of them will be a give away

that's a bit funny, but you could go through the updates and remove them one by one

I could do that but I couldn't be bothered. It will be time consuming and by next Tuesday maybe M$ will have fixed the problem. Apart from not being able to use IE everything works fine. So it will be Chrome for the time being.

WinUpdate.JPG

Last edited:
Like ZL1 said that is the best way to troubleshoot a problem like that. I have had similar problems like that when installing multiple updates. I have started installing large amounts of updates is small groups at a time & checking operation after each group.

No, I have not reset IE settings. When IE tries to connect to a website it blanks out all the options in Settings. So I can't do a reset. I mean when I start IE it tries to connect to my Home Page. I can't stop it. All I can do is close IE.

I know I can troubleshoot and solve the problem. But I don't want to waste the time and effort. Chrome is sufficient at the present moment. I'll just wait for M$ to come up with a fix.

Thank you everybody.

I've worked on this issue as a bench tech at my workplace countless times. Downgrade to IE10 or IE9 and the problem goes away. For whatever reason, IE11 has DNS issues on some installs/hardware.

No, I have not reset IE settings. When IE tries to connect to a website it blanks out all the options in Settings. So I can't do a reset. I mean when I start IE it tries to connect to my Home Page. I can't stop it. All I can do is close IE.

I know I can troubleshoot and solve the problem. But I don't want to waste the time and effort. Chrome is sufficient at the present moment. I'll just wait for M$ to come up with a fix.

Thank you everybody.

Can you do it through control panel like Win7/Vista/XP...?

Can you do it through control panel like Win7/Vista/XP...?

Thank you for the excellent advice. I was able to "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" through the Control Panel. I then rebooted the computer. But it didn't help.

Thank you for the excellent advice. I was able to "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" through the Control Panel. I then rebooted the computer. But it didn't help.

I only used win 8 for about a week on a laptop before I'd had enough :(

Can you "rollback" updates?

Just download the standalone IE installer and reinstall it, that'll probably fix it.

Can you "rollback" updates?

I could do that but I would be giving up a lot just to get IE working as I don't know exactly which Update is the culprit. I could also try and uninstall the Updates 1 by 1 as a troubleshooting procedure. But I don't want to waste the time and effort since I can use Google Chrome without any problems.

Thank you.

Just download the standalone IE installer and reinstall it, that'll probably fix it.

Hi Lvcoyote. I tried looking for the standalone IE11 installer but it seems they don't have one for Win 8/8.1. They do have one for Win 7. Will that do? Thanks.

Probably will. I'm sure if there is a problem it'll let you know. Give it a shot.

The default IE version for Windows 8.1 is IE11, which is, in my experience, a big issue for plenty of users. You can't uninstall IE11 until you get off of Windows 8.1. I would suggest going back to Winodws 8.0, or try reverting back and doing the upgrade over.

Either way, IE11 has SO much more issues than IE10.

Last edited:
The default IE version for Windows 8.1 is IE11, which is, in my experience, a big issue for plenty of users. I would suggest going back to Winodws 8.0, or try reverting back and doing the upgrade over.

I also think IE11 has a lot of issues. But I can't go back to Win 8 because I bought the 8.1 version.

Anyway, for the time being, it's only IE11. Everything else is fine. If M$ wants me to go over to Chrome, then so be it.

Back