• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Canon rep confession about aftermarket ink cartridges

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

My Canon inkjet developed a hardware problem a few days ago and since it was still under warranty I called Canon USA to arrange for an RMA. Of course, the Canon rep had me go through a few troubleshooting steps before issuing the RMA. The error code indicated there was an ink delivery problem. Kind of odd as I had just printed out something with no issue when immediately the display trough an error code. I think a sensor must have popped.

One of the things he had me do was identify the brand of cartridges installed in the print head. I was using aftermarket cartridges and he told me that would not make any difference as far as the warranty goes and should not make any difference with regard to the operation of the printer. He did want to know the brand as the company is tracking possible problems related to various third party cartridge suppliers.

I can't speak for other inkjet printer manufacturers but for Canon at least, there is no threat to the warranty status if you use third party cartridges. But just as an aside, for years Canon has been my go to inkjet printer brand and the one I recommended to my customers. As much as anything else, there were always plenty of inexpensive third party cartridge options available for Canon whereas with most other brands you were forced to use expensive OEM or remanufactured cartridges. But the last two Canon models I have had have both developed ink delivery issues within a few months of purchase, despite being used frequently. The last good one I had was the MX922. Next one I buy may not be a Canon.

But what I will say about Canon USA is that there customer service is excellent. I always have gotten someone who is a native English speaker and easy to understand. And they have never given me any guff about an RMA.

Last edited:
My Canon crapped the bed after 13 months (WiFi crapped out, and black was borked no matter what). Reached out in hopes of good faith RMA (warranty was a year)... nada. Bought another anyway (TR5420). :)

I just heard a news story that HP was doing a similar thing. Scanning for 3rd party cartridges and refusing to work if found.

Garbo.

100% sure hp will "break" the print head if third party carts are used, displaying there is a problem with the printhead or ink system, printhead malfunction ect.

Hmmm my Epson just ran an Epson black cart dry. Popped in another Epson cart and still says empty. Once upon a time I had a refill in there. Will be interesting to see what happens. I don't recall my exact purchase date. But I'm close to that 1 year mark.

Just checked. Bought in January 2020.

I just heard a news story that HP was doing a similar thing. Scanning for 3rd party cartridges and refusing to work if found.

Garbo.

Janus, I'm not sure you understood my post. I was saying that Canon doesn't bat an eye when you use third party carts. It doesn't void the warranty and they said the third party cartridges should work fine. That is different than HP and most others.

My impression is that inkjet printers in general don't hold up like they used to a few years ago.

I've found inkjet printers have never held up, if they don't get used regularly they get crusty and or dry up.

I got a used kyocera laser printer and haven't looked back, going on 3 years with the toner it came with that was half empty when i got it. They have became quite affordable, though I would not recommend brother printers... HP, Canon.. can't go wrong with either of those. Yeah, toner is a little more expensive, but it lasts way longer and doesn't need replaced from non use, and I believe most yield 2000-5000 pages per toner where as ink jet does what like 100 pages per cartridge?

Janus, I'm not sure you understood my post. I was saying that Canon doesn't bat an eye when you use third party carts. It doesn't void the warranty and they said the third party cartridges should work fine. That is different than HP and most others.

My impression is that inkjet printers in general don't hold up like they used to a few years ago.
Oops my bad! Guess I started reading and went off in my brain on my own tangent.

I was so thankful when we did not need an inkjet anymore as literally I could buy a printer with ink cheaper than just the ink by itself.

Wouldn't you know it, with a laser jet I still have to save the chip off the old factory toner cartridge and replace the aftermarket chip for the non OEM toner to work. :screwy:

Back