• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Canon sued for disabling scanner when printers run out of ink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
lol, wat? Is this still happening? I've got a cheap new-ish Canon (TR4520)... but not sure I've run out of ink and tried scanning.

Hilarious, that title.

Well I dumped HP because they wouldn't allow printing of a text document that just needed black ink when any one of the color cartridges was empty. The black ink was full.

“Further posts [1. 2] found by BleepingComputer also shows Canon telling customers that all inks tanks must contain ink if they wish to print in greyscale, as it may damage the printer.

"The PIXMA MX710 must have all ink tanks installed and they all must contain ink. If you attempt to print with no ink or an empty ink, you would risk damaging the printer," a support agent posted to the Canon forums.”

IMG_1829.JPG

IMG_1828.JPG

Canon thinks its own ink cartridges are counterfeit due to chip shortage 🤣

Well I dumped HP because they wouldn't allow printing of a text document that just needed black ink when any one of the color cartridges was empty. The black ink was full.
My HP inkjet 1010 will print until it actually runs out of ink, printing while booted into Linux. I only buy the black cartridge, just do text printing. For color jobs I farm out to Walmart, usually photos to mail to wife's 87 yr. old dad.

Some printers will not print when any of the colors run out.

My HP inkjet 1010 will print until it actually runs out of ink, printing while booted into Linux. I only buy the black cartridge, just do text printing. For color jobs I farm out to Walmart, usually photos to mail to wife's 87 yr. old dad.
Well, you have a different model, so good for you. I was only speaking about my HP printer, not all of them.

Back