• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't decide between a tri or quad core for a build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dkizzy

I'm putting together a build, should I go with an Athlon II 645 or a Phenom II 720 BE to run in the board?

I am guessing you are using a cheap motherboard that may not have a full complement of overclocking options in bios so I would use the 'faster' stock cpu so your games will get the better benefit from cpu mhz which most games respond to pretty well.

I am guessing you are using a cheap motherboard that may not have a full complement of overclocking options in bios so I would use the 'faster' stock cpu so your games will get the better benefit from cpu mhz which most games respond to pretty well.

I'm using an asus M5A97 board, I'm trying to wait for a couple months before jumping to a 960t or FX. It's for the fiance to play Tera :p. I know the 720BE will go to 3.4ghz on stock clock, not sure how well the 645 would clock. The L3 cache with the x3 is probably the way to lean towards. She won't be doing any video encoding.

I'm using a Heka @ stock clock and I max D3 no issues and played GW2 beta on low settings with very nice framerate even with a screen full of players/action. This is a very low budget rig but I've been happy with it.

The Athloln II 645 will generally go to about 3.6 pretty easy with good cooling and reasonable core voltages.

Back