• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant decide on a build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My question is which one of those will last me longer, as I know very little about computers...and no I don't want to build my own lol
Welcome to the forum Dread, most of the people here build their own rigs. As far as lasting longer you're going to need to be more specific on what they are for. They both are dead platforms, AMD is supposedly not going to be making another AM3+ cpu and Intel has already replaced the Ivy Bridge with Haswell.

Im trying to get something that I can upgrade down the road, but I want to last me 3+ years of stil being able to play games on higher settings, if you have any prebuilt pc's that are below $1,800 that you know of feel free to link :) thanks for the welcome I have a feeling ill be around here a lot

So, u plan to upgrade down the line? Best to start from scratch then, imo.

$1800 will go a LONG way if you're building your own computer. I take it you already have a monitor; based on your two picks not having one.

The rig in my sig was $1400 and change, total. Including monitor, keyboard, and mouse. If I had an extra $400 to spend...whoo weee. :clap:

Last edited:
No I don't want to build my own rig as I do not know how and don't have the resources or time available to build one, that's why im trying to get a prebuilt one, the price isn't an issue as long as its below $2000

If i had to pick between them personally i would go for the one on newegg, But its definitely best to do it yourself, a lot of the boutique system builders skimp on the power supply's and motherboards, which can lead to some nasty problems, like random shutdowns and restarts caused by the psu ( if you do get one of them, replace the old one with a good quality psu down the road when you upgrade), and its just a better value to build it from scratch, it really doesn't take much time, or resources to do it yourself, and there are plenty of people on the forums and even you tube video's that can help you

Think about this: if you get involved, design (with some good mentoring here) it yourself, and build it (the last rig I built for a guy took all of 3 hours including all software installation + testing) yourself you'll not only understand what makes it all come together, but you'll be able to upgrade with confidence instead of being a'skeerd to open the box and touch the guts, and you'll have a pretty cool sense of accomplishment. Who knows, you may wind up getting the bug and become a Bencher!!!

Either way, welcome to OCF>:welcome:

well the only problem with building it myself is I have no idea what all I need and what parts are good and what are bad. and if this part will fit in that case and so on and so forth.

well the only problem with building it myself is I have no idea what all I need and what parts are good and what are bad. and if this part will fit in that case and so on and so forth.

You are surely in the right forum then.

The experience we all have is not based upon anything other than trial and error, with a few OCF'ers working in IT at some level. Please avail yourself of the opportunity to ask as many questions as you need to get the system you'll enjoy.

There are no dumb questions. We all were rookies at some point and got a lot of gracious help along the way.

What will you be using your new PC for? Where will it call home (your home, office, beach house next to your surf board?). Will other folks need access to it or the files on it in some way?

You have a very fine budget to get a very robust system. Let's get started......:comp:

I have a total of about $2000 saved for a rig, its gonna be mostly used for gameing. and ill be the only one using it, I don't even plan on using any internet browser if I can avoid it I wont, ill use my laptop for that, I don't really wanna deal with an overclocking or anything atm I just want the base system to run what I want and have no fps isses. and by what I want I mean I want it to run everything and have no fps issues lol

Last edited:
just ask, we know.
I am an amd guy, don't go amd at the time. am3 is dead and the new apu's are not known well enough.

where are you, we might know somebody close who might be able to help you if not, there are pleny of build logs on the site with very good pictures that will help.

Well as far as my physical location, im stationed in Fort Irwin California, so im in the military that is why I said my time is limited, my specific post doesn't get weekends off so itll probably take me a good 2 - 3 days to build... maybe longer since ill be getting lost alot

as a matter of fact, right now i'd just sit on my hands and wait.
with 2 grand your gonna get a monster.
we are waiting for inel to release the next called broadwell i think, and the latest haswell is all over the map for heat and clocking.
the amd's are not showing well for us so many of us are just waiting.
I know i am, I have 10 rigs woth of junk in a pile behind me and just use a little hp for the time.

the three rigs in my sig are in the pile to.

we are also watching the ati card market a lot as coin mining is falling in profit and we are seeing the first trickle of mining cards hit the market.

Do you have access to accepting deliveries via USPS, UPS, FedX, etc. or would you be better off buying parts retail? Do the names Microcenter, Fry's Electronics, NewEgg, TigerDirect, have any familiarity?

These are some of the better places to shop (selection, competitive pricing, warranty/return policies) that most folks around here use. And there are other good ones. Just getting some ground work done......

Well certain reasons that I wish not to disclose lol do not allow me to wait, I accually have to either order parts or the whole thing by the weekend.

Do you have access to accepting deliveries via USPS, UPS, FedX, etc. or would you be better off buying parts retail? Do the names Microcenter, Fry's Electronics, NewEgg, TigerDirect, have any familiarity?

These are some of the better places to shop (selection, competitive pricing, warranty/return policies) that most folks around here use. And there are other good ones. Just getting some ground work done......

Newegg and tiger direct I have been around before when buying different stuff, I have access to deliveries, but everything has to come in one delivery.

also another prebuilt option I was looking at is http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8573806&csid=_61

Last edited:
hey We can help you set up your rig with that budget you can easily get a similar spec PC with a 780 6gb (if you wait a couple of weeks).

BTW I build and shipped a PC with 32 gb of ram a 780 ti, i7 processor with liquid cool (H60) for approx $2200 this is counting shipping to him ($80) and my "tech charge" he could not buy from cyberpower or anything since he lived in non us 48. so rate was considered international.

also cyber power have way better deals than those :

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Scorpius_9500

(replace card with 780 ti EVGA super clock ( no price difference) . So for the same price you get a 780 ti instead of a 770, better cooling, and probably better warranty (cant tell tho)

Gaming Chasis: AZZA Genesis 9000
CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.00 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology
CPU / Processor Cooling Fan: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Extreme Performance CPU Cooler (Standard 120MM Fan)
Motherboard: * GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 AMD 990 ATX w/ Ultra Durable 3, On/Off Charge, GbLAN, 4 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 1 PCI

RAM / System Memory: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (EVGA Superclocked W/ ACX Cooling)

Power Supply: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
Hard Drive: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

Keyboard: AZZA Delta Gaming Keyboard w/ Anti-Ghosting & red backlight
Mouse: AZZA Alpha 1600 DPI Gaming Mouse

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 8.1 (64-bit Edition) + Office 365 FREE 30 Days Trial

Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts] LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

BTW this includes KB and mouse, you can swap that 2tb HDD for a 128 SSD then add an additional HDD yourself for $100 (3TB) :salute:

Amazon has became one of my top places to buy now. they also carry mail in rebates in some cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back