• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't find the right setting in BIOS (970a-d3p)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knoober

I've got my rig set! Multiplier @ 20! Cpuz reads 4018 +/- some random mhz! Time for stability testing! Open he_monitor and feel sad. 1st core OC'd last 3 cores.... Stock. Booooo!

Research shows this to be not exactly common, but most places agree that there should be a setting in the bios to link all the cores under the same frequency (or something). I can't find anything of the sort however. Any help?

hardware monitor shows 3 cores at stock?
I think you might try loading it or reinstalling hardware monitor, with deneb you can only turn cores on or off under advanved/cpu tab.

Advanced cpu tab (in BIOS) gives the option for (auto /1 core per proc /2 cores per proc/ 3 cores per proc)

Hw mon- lists 1st core as OC (4ghz) and the other 3 cores @ stock (3.4) I've tried reloading it and restarting. Same results every time. Is there another tool I could try? I guess I haven't tried refusing downloading hw_monitor.

hwmonitor.PNG

pics are working today I guess (been having trouble uploading screenshots, but not today :D )

Edit again: new download of hw_monitor 1.28 straight from CPUID still shows the same results. 1.26 shows no frequencies at all (but I dont know if thats because they arent there in that version)

Last edited:
CPU core control needs to be in AUTO. That locks all the cores together.

CPU core control needs to be in AUTO. That locks all the cores together.

That's how I have it set. I moved it around to test but moved it back when I saw what it was doing ( disabling cores)

Bad OC? Same thing happens at lower clock speeds (one step up from stock 17.5 = 1 core OC + 3 stock speed)

As I see it there are 3 options

1) something wrong with the board

2) something wrong with my settings (my guess)

3) I changed all the pastes and removed the jelly pads on the board when I got it (replaced jelly pads with Arctic ceramique) and now that decision is coming back to bite me in the arse.

Performance is fine excepting the results in hw_monitor. Passed all the benches listed in the summer BBQ part 2 thread with these settings. What's da deal here? :)

heres the frequency tab and advanced. not sure if you needed others

bios2.jpg

bios.jpg

core control.jpg

:) When I try the third option I only have 3 cores... and 2 are not OC

Edit: Im starting to worry that my second hand cpu might be the issue. Maybe or not even possible?

Last edited:
I was hoping you weren't gonna say that. :p

Might as well try the beta bios then. Maybe it has a fix.
If not, start back pedaling down the list till you find one that works. At least there's only a couple.

I'll report back. Will have to go get it again :) getting tired of not playing games sooooo.... I might just let this one go till tomorrow

the only gigabyte am3 board i have is an 890xa-ud3, but it's out on loan right now so I can't throw it together and have a look.

the only gigabyte am3 board i have is an 890xa-ud3, but it's out on loan right now so I can't throw it together and have a look.

You'd do that for little old me? Certainly more trouble than I would go to, so thanks you very much. If you have any ideas let me know. I'll keep plugging away at it. I'll let you guys know if F6 does any gold for me.... I had a different trouble with f6 before but I'm confident that it won't be repeated.... Hopefully!

Without opening the case I can't say for 100 percent, (see I told ya I wouldn't go to that much trouble :D) but I'm pretty sure it's Revision 1.0

Back