• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't find the right setting in BIOS (970a-d3p)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Run AMD OverDrive and try setting overclock on individual cores.

Some revisions of overdrive lock all core multipliers together. So when you open it and Core 0 reads what bios has set at 4ghz, try simply hitting apply and see if other cores follow.

If that doesn't work for you, digging for older AMD OverDrive revisions may enable individual core multiplier overclocking/underclocking.

If unlocked, should look similar to this much older version of AMD OverDrive. (photo taken from EOCF OC stickies)

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj71/ShrimpBrime/PerformanceClock-voltagetabstock.jpg

Hpc? ___ per core? I cannot think of what the H could be. How silly right? Whatever it may be I'm pretty sure it doesn't have it. I've looked through the manual ( pretty thoroughly, but that doesn't mean it isn't there / just means I didn't see it.) and everything relating to cpu is shown in the earlier pics I posted. I tried f6f (next bios version) and I hate it :) in f5 I can raise the multi to x20 and I'm done (with one core anyway) but f6f won't let me see temps on the cores and I haven't been able to boot @ 4ghz yet ( not that I've out a whole lot of work into it either / it just didn't happen right away like it did with f5)

Im going to try f4. I think it should be okay, the change log says all they did was add support for ram so if it works I'm in the clear and if it doesn't then I move back to f5 and try locking the cores with amd overdrive like ShrimpBrime suggested

Edit : f4 and f6f share the same issue. I'll keep looking into a solution and post if I find it. Thanks for the good ideas. Overdrive doesn't have a core locking feature in the current time version, so maybe I'll go looking for an older kne

Last edited:
Are you certain it's not a bug in HWMonitor? You can check all core speeds with CPUz by right clicking on the GUI and it will list all cores and speeds. One thing you could try is setting turbo or core boost to the same as you Overclock speed.

Are you certain it's not a bug in HWMonitor? You can check all core speeds with CPUz by right clicking on the GUI and it will list all cores and speeds. One thing you could try is setting turbo or core boost to the same as you Overclock speed.

Man, I had no idea cpu z could do that.... But cpuz tells that Hw_monitor is accurate. Thank you though. Back on the F5 bios for now for anyone who is looking into this

Edit : also isn't the turbo core stuff for Intel? Or am I thinking of something different?

Did you try setting the turbo/core boost whatever it is on your board to your overclocked speed?

I checked your manual and I would make these setting on the Advance CPU core features page.

CPB Manual set the CPB ratio the same as your OC clock enable HPC and APM

Did you try setting the turbo/core boost whatever it is on your board to your overclocked speed?

I checked your manual and I would make these setting on the Advance CPU core features page.

CPB Manual set the CPB ratio the same as your OC clock enable HPC and APM
I'm not being deliberately dense here but I don't see those options. I have a screens hot of my advanced cpu page posted earlier in this thread, is it perhaps one of those and I don't realize it? I am going to re-read the manual to see if I can find what you are seeing. Thanks again

Edit: also I should mention real quickly that M. I. T on the bios lists the OC on all cores ( under pc health status)

Last edited:
In your second pic it's here just select it. You find advanced core features on the advanced frequency settings page

In your second pic it's here just select it. You find advanced core features on the advanced frequency settings page

I see what happened here. I posted the pics out of order. 2nd pic is supposed to be first and the first pic is of the advanced cpu tab. The note in the manual says that those features have to be supported by the cpu or will not be present. Unless they are in a different part of the bios (and I'll double check of course) I haven't seen those and thought the cpu must not support those features

Additionally I had considered that these cores might throttle up if I applied load but did not budge at all under prime 95.

I gotta say I don't like that this is happening, but it does appear that I've done the right things so far :)

Edit: I think Windows may be holding this OC back. Is there anything to check in the OS?

Ahh right this is a PII not an FX so yeah those settings won't be there. What happens if you drop the multi by .5 to 3.9 have you tried that to see if it's consistent? If that works it could be your board throttling because of power draw but ..............

Ahh right this is a PII not an FX so yeah those settings won't be there. What happens if you drop the multi by .5 to 3.9 have you tried that to see if it's consistent? If that works it could be your board throttling because of power draw but ..............

It is consistent. When it first happened I dropped the multi all the way back to stock and then raised up one step (17.5) for the same result.

It might be worth mentioning that under "pc health status " in the M. I. T tab, it shows the OC on all cores ( I kinda slid that in above in some quick edits sorry) so it appears that this is only happens g once the OS kicks in.

Next question then, was this OS installed using this board?

Yes sir. Fresh install when I got the board. Previous board used a different chipset and I wanted a fresh install by then anyway.

After install I used the disc that came with the mobo to update all the drivers, plugged in the storage drives and went about my day. I don't really tweak Windows all that much except for moving around a few default locations to the storage drives from the SSD.

Did you install easytune and play with it ay all?

After install I used the disc that came with the mobo to update all the drivers,
You really should be going to the website and DL from there. Particularly with a board that has been out for years like that one. They do not update those files frequently so you may have old drivers on there. I ALWAYS suggest getting your drivers from the mobo website for your board out of the gate.

Im not saying that is the problem, just informational/future reference.

I skipped easy tune because I thought it was just a software OC utility and intended to use the bios. Think the core locking option might be in there? I kept the auto green installed but haven't used it at all yet.... Gonna check if auto green is throttling those cores. I'll let you know if it is

BTW I updated my signature to current :) just in case there might be something in there that tells the problem. I'll install easy tune really quickly and see if the option I want is in there

Don't install easy tune and uninstall green machine or whatever it was. Those things are nothing but headaches. Then update you drivers from the website to the most current. New BIOS definitely needs new drivers.

Don't install easy tune and uninstall green machine or whatever it was. Those things are nothing but headaches. Then update you drivers from the website to the most current. New BIOS definitely needs new drivers.

I will check the site for new drivers like you suggest but in the meantime theres this.....

Hwmonitor_fixed.PNG

and how it got that way? This ....

Easytune capture.PNG

Im not sure if the fix will be persistent or if I will have to set it at every boot, but for now it works. Hit the Turbo checkbox and then clicked set. As I said though Ill chek those drivers. ANd look, my pic uploads are working today. Perhaps youll see something from me in a differnet thread :D

Yeah I figured easy tune would work but you shouldn't have to resort to using it.

Back