• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get my Maximus Formula to boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghost_recon88

Senior Jedi Master
I had it running perfectly with my E3110, then I just swapped that out for a gem of a Q6600. Now I don't get any video, the mouse doesn't light up, nor does the keyboard. All 3 sets of LEDs on the mobo light up when I hit the power button, and the video card fan spins. In the 3 sets of lights, all the colors light up (red, orange, and green) and they stay lit. I've taken out all the sticks of RAM except one, and have tried resetting the CMOS, reseating the CPU, and taking out the CMOS battery for any hour, but have had no luck. Also the DVD burner lights up, and goes off after 10 seconds like normal. Anyone have any ideas? I did the conversion to a Rampage Formula, but that shouldn't make a difference, as I was running it for a while converted before swapping CPUs. I no longer have my E3110 to test in it. My full specs are in my sig. Any help would be hot :(

All 3 sets of LEDs on the mobo light up when I hit the power button, and the video card fan spins. In the 3 sets of lights, all the colors light up (red, orange, and green) and they stay lit.

This is exactly what I saw with my MF after my first fridge job. All 3 LED areas were lit, PC speaker gave no tones, no video, RAM was out, NOTHING.

On a high note, ASUS turned around my RMA very quickly, should be here in a week!

Do you have the LCD poster connected?

My Open Box didn't come with that.

This is exactly what I saw with my MF after my first fridge job. All 3 LED areas were lit, PC speaker gave no tones, no video, RAM was out, NOTHING.

On a high note, ASUS turned around my RMA very quickly, should be here in a week!

Crap :bang head :cry: Looks like I'll be using my $30 newegg credit on a new board while I wait for the Asus replacement.

I would say use that 30$ credit plus a little bit to purchase a different cpu, possibly a low end celeron or something.

It could be as simple as your bios needing to be flashed.

The BIOS I had on it was only a week old, so I'm quite sure it supports the Q6600. I think this might be the time for me to get a slightly more evil board ;)

Weird thing is that when I unplug the power, then turn it back on, it will start up for a few secs, then shut down and turn back on. The 2nd time it turns on, it stays on. It reminds me on the Abit IP35-E double-post issue.

Wait a sec, it powers up? Do any of the LEDs go green at any point?

Typically, you experience what you describe on a bad oc. Just to be sure, have you tried putting your old cpu back in as a test?

Yea it powers up. Its just there's no video, the keyboard and mouse do not light up, and all 3 different locations of LEDs stay on, as well as all 3 colors. I sold my E3110, and I just received my Q6600 to pop in there. Lapped the sucker up, put it in there, clamped down the waterblock, cleared the CMOS, hit the power button, and the symptoms described above happen,

Lapped the sucker up, put it in there, clamped down the waterblock

I know it sounds crazy, but have you checked the underside of the cpu?

It is possible, however, unlikely, the underside of the cpu could have some nickel shavings. Maybe use some alcohol across the underside of the cpu.

Sure sounds like my same problem, but the only difference is your machine is shutting down with the 3 LEDs, I could not get mine to do that.

ASUS RMA Request

I know it sounds crazy, but have you checked the underside of the cpu?

It is possible, however, unlikely, the underside of the cpu could have some nickel shavings. Maybe use some alcohol across the underside of the cpu.

Good call, I'll check that. I did lap it with its black little holder still attached, so some metal could have gotten in there. I already obtained an RMA from them this morning, so I guess anything could be considered a go now.

Given that you've never actually fired up that cpu, I wouldn't be so quick to point the finger at the mobo.

...and since you've lapped it before trying it out, you can't possibly know whether it worked before. Hindsight is 20/20, but it might have been a good idea to have tested that proc first. Something to keep in mind in case the situation arises again.

If I was you and had a place nearby that I could buy a cheap LGA775 proc I would go that route. You can even return it and pay a restock fee and possibly still come out ahead in the long run.

Anyways, I hope you get it sorted out.

Yep, I know I should have. Always test the parts before modding them :p The seller had really good feedback though, and the CPU had no burn marks or anything on it. I've never heard of a modern CPU dying except by popping off the IHS.

I would give the cpu a complete alcohol bath, then blast it dry with compressed air. Also scrub the cpu socket on the mobo with alcohol and a toothbrush. Be sure to go in 1 direction and gently. Also dry off with compressed air.

Hopefully this will do it. Just out of curiosity, does the board have the updated bios for the quad?

It works! :D:D:D Found out it was because 3 of the socket pins were bent. Took it to a local comp shop to get tested, and they noticed the 3 bent ones. They used a fine tool to bend them back, then it POSTed perfectly fine! The sooner Intel goes back to pins on the CPU, the better :p

Back