• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cant install drivers for 8800GTS640

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DareMe55

Quote from another post:
Im on my new computer right now, I got my internet to work. I went to NVIDIA's website and downloaded the latest drivers, and it installed with no errors. It asked me to reboot my comp. AFter windows loads, a blue screen pops up REALLY fast and I cant read whats on it, then my comp reboost and it asks me to go into safe mode, start normally(which reboots itself), or go to last good known config, which I did.

I cant install my drivers on my 8800gts, and thats all I need and im done with my computer.

Any suggestions? Ive tried the CD, and the new ones from the website. Nothing works.

find out what the blue screen error is
while in last known or safe mode (whichever works for you)

to disable the automatic reboot:
right click on My Computer
goto properties
click on the Advanced Tab
Startup and Recovery Settings
under the 'System Failure' section uncheck the Automatically restart option

reboot to windows normally
when the blue screen pops up you will need to note the stop code and the error that caused the crash

then we can work from there

this is a brand new computer:

gigabyte 965p-ds3
q6600
8800gts 640
2 gigs ram
150gb 10,000 rpm HD
620w psu

i just put it together and everything works except my video card. Ive tried tons of methods, even googled nv4_disp tons of times, everyone seems to have the error, and I have no clue how to fix it. I might call nvidia tomorrow, Or EVGA.

DareMe55 said:
i just put it together and everything works except my video card. Ive tried tons of methods, even googled nv4_disp tons of times, everyone seems to have the error, and I have no clue how to fix it. I might call nvidia tomorrow, Or EVGA.
definitely evga. they've been helpful with customer support issues in my experience with them, and seeing as how you've got an evga 8800gts, calling nvidia directly won't be as much help as contacting your card manufacturer

Thats the worst technical support ever. Im trying to explain what my problem is, and the b**** interrupted me, saying to do this, when I say loudly "Ive done that already". I just hung up on him, seriously.

Last edited:
still havent fixed the problem with nv4_disp. Im gonna bring it to a computer store monday, and make sure he doesnt mess anything up. Also do you need the box it came in to RMA it?

DareMe55 said:
Thats the worst technical support ever. Im trying to explain what my problem is, and the b**** is interupting me, saying to do this, when I say loudly "Ive done that already". I just hung up on him, seriously.
Ok, first thing, might want to take out the swearing, its unneeded and against the rules;)

You have to be more patient, you will get no where yelling at people. If you have a problem with a specific person, ask for someone else. :beer:

DareMe55 said:
still havent fixed the problem with nv4_disp. Im gonna bring it to a computer store monday, and make sure he doesnt mess anything up. Also do you need the box it came in to RMA it?
Have you tried using DriverCleaner in safemode and then using the drivers off the CD that came with the video card?

thideras said:
Have you tried using DriverCleaner in safemode and then using the drivers off the CD that came with the video card?

Yep. My computer recognizes the card, and has auto installed the drivers, While in safe mode, The drivers are installed, and I can see that from device manager, and right-clicking desktop and going to settings. When I reboot my computer, I get a BSOD with the screenshot I posted.

http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picturexf0.jpg

DareMe55 said:
Yep. My computer recognizes the card, and has auto installed the drivers, While in safe mode, The drivers are installed, and I can see that from device manager, and right-clicking desktop and going to settings. When I reboot my computer, I get a BSOD with the screenshot I posted.

http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picturexf0.jpg
Well, that isn't what I asked :p

I asked if you installed a program called DriverCleaner, started your computer in Safe Mode and removed your drives through that program. THEN using the drivers off of the CD.

thideras said:
Well, that isn't what I asked :p

I asked if you installed a program called DriverCleaner, started your computer in Safe Mode and removed your drives through that program. THEN using the drivers off of the CD.

Ugh, my first word was Yep.:confused:

well cool, I have a problem that cant be fixed, and Ive done everything.

so...: do you need the box it came in to RMA it?

Im using windows XP. reformatted twice... plus everything in the computer is brand new. HDD and all.

k. well I updated my bios and I still get the error. So I guess its time to send it back.

Back