• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't Run 3000mhz with 64GB of DDR4 Memory Installed - ASRock X99 Extreme6 Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When I mentioned 4x16gb, I was just curious if it would still cause a problem if he lowered the number of modules from 2x(4x8 kit), but increased density 2x(2x16), as my knowledge on the subject is limited, and I like to learn all I can.

Another motherboard will not solve this problem. The OP, if he needs 64GB, should sell his sticks, and grab 8x8GB DDR4 2133 and call it a day.

Thats what I will do.

I do 4k Video editing in After Effects. Do you think I would benefit more from 32gb of ram at 3000mhz or 64 GB at 2133mhz?

I don't use those applications, so I have no idea. That said, if you are breaching or close to 32GB, 64GB at any speed makes more sense as ram is A LOT faster than a HDD/SSD where your Pagefile resides.

I don't use those applications, so I have no idea. That said, if you are breaching or close to 32GB, 64GB at any speed makes more sense as ram is A LOT faster than a HDD/SSD where your Pagefile resides.
Exactly this. If you need more memory, more memory will be better than faster memory. See if you're actually using up all 32GB (the OS will start swapping to disk). If that's happening, get more memory regardless of speed.

Thats what I will do.

I do 4k Video editing in After Effects. Do you think I would benefit more from 32gb of ram at 3000mhz or 64 GB at 2133mhz?

If that's what you're planning, you might want to go take your for sale thread down.

How much RAM do you currently use while in After Effects?

Another motherboard will not solve this problem. The OP, if he needs 64GB, should sell his sticks, and grab 8x8GB DDR4 2133 and call it a day.

Depends on what he can sell that memory for. He might be better off just keeping it and running it at the lower speed. After expenses and buying new ram he probably won't end up saving much money. Just keep it and see if it will run at 2133 at tighter timings and then maybe he can re-use this memory in a future build that can handle the memory speed.

That is a good point! Its already bought... so unless he can return it (more along the lines of what I was thinking - not saying), that is spot on!

So I did some benchmarking with After Effects.
A 1080p project thats around 2:41 seconds long

with 64GB @2133 mhz:
- Ram Preview: 2 minutes 17 seconds (with 6GB per core in the settings)
- Export h.264 1080p: 3 minutes and 13 seconds

with 32GB @3000mhz
-Ram Preview: 2 minutes 39 seconds (with 6GB per core in the settings)
- Export h.264 1080p: 3 minutes and 13 seconds

Not a huge difference. However there were a couple of things I noticed:
1) with 64gb installed I was able to ram preview the whole 2:41 second clip while with 32gb installed it stopped ram preview at 3/4 of the way through. I had to restart ram preview from 3/4 to get to the end.
2) when tracking memory usage with windows task manager, I was getting as high as 45.6GB of memory usage when I had 64gb installed, while I was getting around 24-27GB of usage when running 32gb of ram.

Question:
do you think it would make any difference if I got 4 x 16gb sticks of DDR4 ram? Do you think this would increase the chance I can run the ram faster rather then having 8 sticks of ram, have 4?

Question:
do you think it would make any difference if I got 4 x 16gb sticks of DDR4 ram? Do you think this would increase the chance I can run the ram faster rather then having 8 sticks of ram, have 4?

Maybe. I guess it can't hurt to try....just be sure to buy from a place with a good return policy.

Before you do why don't you try running your benchmark again and compare 32GB @ 2133 vs 32GB @ 3000. I think the results might show that the increased speed doesn't make much of a difference.

Back