• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't Run 3000mhz with 64GB of DDR4 Memory Installed - ASRock X99 Extreme6 Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

Hi,
I've been struggling with this issue for a few days. I initially thought it was the ram, but I purchased a second set and have the same issue.

I bought my PC recently and purchased 8 sticks of ram for a total of 32gb (G.Skill 3000mhz DDR4). After a week, I realized I needed more memory, so I ordered and received 64gb (G.Skill 30000mhz DDR4). When I went to install the ram (8 sticks of 8gb), my pc wouldnt boot up at all. I had to clear the cmos, and check out the settings. The 64GB or ram only seems to work at stock 2133mhz speeds, even though the ram is is rated for 3000mhz. Even if I set the ram to 2200-2500mhz I will get past the boot up, but will get a blue screen crash in windows. Beyond 2500mhz I dont get even a boot.

When I remove 4 of the sticks of ram, I can run them at 3000mhz no problem. The issue is when I add the additional 4 sticks.

Additional points:
1) with 4 sticks of ram (32gb total) I run at 3000mhz ram speed, and 4.5ghz CPU speed (36x125mhz)
2) I emailed G.Skill and they recommended I increase the System Agent Voltage, which I tried and it made no difference. I tried 0.300, 0.500, and 0.600 (which it states is the max).

How can I get my 64 gb of G.Skill ram running at 3000mhz?

System Specs:
i7 5960x
ASRock X99 Extreme6 3.1USB
G.Skill RipJaws 4 F4-3000C15Q-32GRBB (2 sets for a total of 64GB)
GTX 970
Corsair AX 860 PSU

Please help!

Are your timings also set to the rated timings for 3000MHz? You could try backing them off a bit.

That's a lot of memory, though, and it may put enough stress on the memory controller to make it difficult to get all the way up to the speed you want. The gains past 2133 are pretty minor anyway, so you're not missing out on much.

Did you try XMP profile with raising the SA voltage >.1 to .2v? That is A LOT of ram to be running that fast.

Are your timings also set to the rated timings for 3000MHz? You could try backing them off a bit.

That's a lot of memory, though, and it may put enough stress on the memory controller to make it difficult to get all the way up to the speed you want. The gains past 2133 are pretty minor anyway, so you're not missing out on much.

Im running the default ram timings. The ram is rated at 3000mhz at 15-16-16-35. Its fine with 32gb, but not so much with 64gb.

Did you try XMP profile with raising the SA voltage >.1 to .2v? That is A LOT of ram to be running that fast.

I did load the XMP profile and I raised the SA voltage all the way from .3 to .6 with no effect.

On X99 you don't have to set more than ~1.1V VCCSA.
Are these both kits on the same memory chips ? I mean the same could be on Samsung and Hynix IC and can have different XMP profiles ( not much but can ). You can check it looking at serial number if it's xxxx3400xxx... then it's Hynix, if it's xxxx3500xxx... then it's Samsung.
I'm also not sure if you can make it run stable at 3000 using 64GB. There are barely any memory kits tested on X99 above 2666. On the other hand you can have similar performance setting this memory at 2666 and tighter timings like 14-15-15.

On X99 you don't have to set more than ~1.1V VCCSA.
Are these both kits on the same memory chips ? I mean the same could be on Samsung and Hynix IC and can have different XMP profiles ( not much but can ). You can check it looking at serial number if it's xxxx3400xxx... then it's Hynix, if it's xxxx3500xxx... then it's Samsung.
I'm also not sure if you can make it run stable at 3000 using 64GB. There are barely any memory kits tested on X99 above 2666. On the other hand you can have similar performance setting this memory at 2666 and tighter timings like 14-15-15.

My memory doesnt have either 3400 or 3500 in the serial. I do have XXXXA500XXXXXXX on all of them

I cant pump up the memory to more than 2133mhz. It will boot into windows up to 2500mhz but BSOD immediately. Any higher then that and I get no boot up at all.

In regards to VCCSA, my motherboard bios says the range is from -0.300 to +0.600, so Im not sure what you mean by "you don't have to set more than ~1.1V VCCSA."

VccSA has an actual voltage. We were saying whatever it is at stock (find out through your BIOS and/or ASROck software). So if stock is .9v and we say to add .1v that makes it 1.0v. Setting it to .6v over stock could kill that CPU.

EDIT: I don't think another motherboard is going to do the trick...why are you selling that board? Your best bet is to return the memory and get a slower and more appropriate speed for your capacity.

Last edited:
im no expert, but that seems to be asking alot of the memory controller dealio.

Its not ASROck, its everyone. Its known, by most, that it is up to your IMC and if it can handle it. The more sticks you have the more stress it is on the IMC. Regardless, I believe there are disclaimers anyway.

Definitely an IMC issue and not a motherboard issue.
You're wasting your money switching boards.

Another motherboard will not solve this problem. The OP, if he needs 64GB, should sell his sticks, and grab 8x8GB DDR4 2133 and call it a day.

I already see many posts in this thread and mentioned 4x16GB kits ... Maybe I missed something but where OP said that he has 4x16GB kit ? ...F4-3000C15Q-32GRBB is 4x8GB kit and there are 2 the same kits -> http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3000c15q-32grbb so 8x8GB DDR4-3000.

Now take a look at G.Skill website. They have no 8x8GB kit at higher settings than 2800 15-16-16 what means this is the highest stable specification for mass production. It also means that to run 8x8GB of mentioned DDR4-3000 memory you have to lower frequency and timings. I bet you can make it run at higher clock ( 2666 or 2800 ) but it will take a lot of time of tests at manual settings.

A500 = Samsung IC. I said 3500 because all older kits had that number. New have A500 and I have that on all my Ripjaws V kits.
VCCSA stock voltage is near 0.9V so when I said to set it at no more than 1.1V then it means +0.2V offset. I simply never use offset.

Anyway I doubt that changing board will help in this case.

One person mentioned that Bart (and swam a bit out of his lane as I don't believe that exists yet) and it was a suggestion, not what the OP actually has, so you are good. :)

Back