• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't seem to find the right LCD, a little help please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nicspits

I'm looking for a new monitor, had an acer 20" which was nice, but it had the matte anti glare like surface adn that bugged thus returned it. Coming from such a history of CRT and being in a low light environment, I would rather have the nice high gloss, anti reflective coating on my future LCD. So here's what I'm looking for and if anyone can find one, well props to your abilities cuz I sure as hell can't.

-at least 20" preferably not widescreen but not a deal breaker. No bigger than 27" tops, it's on a desk, 27 is pretty big for gaming, and I like to turn it for some bedside DVD\download watching. really preferably no bigger than 24" but that just may not exist.

-true response time of 16ms or less, I do do quite a lot of gaming and you bet ur ace it's fps.

-anti reflective coating or just no anti glare, you see them on dell laptops all over, it's glossy, it's bright and vivid, that. Please no arguments from those who don'tunderstand the difference between anti reflective and anti glare, if you have troubles with this just thing glossy and matte.

-DVI connectivity, extras if need be but not a requirement.

-Good image quality, naturally, I don't need a billion to 1 contrast ratio as those normally look funked up anyways, just good image quality that makes games and movies enjoyable.

Thank you very much for anyone who finds something like this and also, please don't thread crap to pricewatch or amazon or newegg, I have looked in my spare time for the last week and a half and also on my lunches.

I just recently picked up and Acer AL2216, it is a 22'' widescreen.

The response time is no issue for me. I do alot of gaming; Fear, BF2142/2, HL2, CSS, UT2004. No ghosting at all. Fps has seen over 200 in game on the 8800gtx as well ;)

I have no problems with glare and my monitor is less than a foot away from a window, right in the way of two major room lights. No complaints here.

Comes with DVI+VGA cable.

1680x1050 resolution is great in games, it might tax your video card a bit depending on what games you enjoy though.

Best thing about this monitor is the price Imo.

BigTree: ok, I really thought I made this clear: I'm trying to find a glossy screen, that means if i had a strobe light behind me, it would totally show in the reflection, like a freakin mirror glossy... why, cuz it's dim in my room and it looks great in the dark that way, the matte, well, looks more blurry and flat.

Jedi mind Trick: simple, not all games support them and deadzone can get really old, same with dvds and TV tuner goodness. not worth it huh, tell that to all the companies that still make 37" diagonal TVs. Wide screen can be a pain if you don't like seeing dead zone\skewed images. Oh and you didn't bother answering the question (I realize you have 1 star but you'll get hammered in more serious threads for a crap post). Thanks for your educational experience though, better work on those mind tricks.

Still lookin

As unhelpful as this may be
I was looking for one aswell, couldnt find one, I love it on my dell
I wonder if you can get somehting to put on your screen to give it the gloss?

props to denz_1 for actually posting relevant info! perhaps man, perhaps, but the sheer annoyance, ugliness, and trying to find one the right size (only seen 17"-19" in the stores) would prompt me to buy a bigger table and a high resolution TV instead.

nicspits said:
I would rather have the nice high gloss, anti reflective coating on my future LCD.

-at least 20" preferably not widescreen but not a deal breaker. No bigger than 27" tops, it's on a desk, 27 is pretty big for gaming, and I like to turn it for some bedside DVD\download watching. really preferably no bigger than 24" but that just may not exist.

-true response time of 16ms or less, I do do quite a lot of gaming and you bet ur ace it's fps.

-anti reflective coating or just no anti glare, you see them on dell laptops all over, it's glossy, it's bright and vivid, that. Please no arguments from those who don'tunderstand the difference between anti reflective and anti glare, if you have troubles with this just thing glossy and matte.

Thank you very much for anyone who finds something like this and also, please don't thread crap to pricewatch or amazon or newegg, I have looked in my spare time for the last week and a half and also on my lunches.

Im quoting this cause I see your starting to get "irritated" at people regarding your "find this LCD monitor that dont even exist thread"

People are offering you "alternative" LCD monitors that are being manufactured that could offer you the same quality if not better, your selective chosing on the monitor has made it where there wont be much help for you here. We cant find you something that dont exist. Plain and Simple.

Oh and you didn't bother answering the question (I realize you have 1 star but you'll get hammered in more serious threads for a crap post). Thanks for your educational experience though, better work on those mind tricks.

Dude I think you gotta chill. First of all stars only reflect my number of posts, not my knowledge. And as for dismissing my opinion that widescreens are better than normals, I think there are loads of "educated" members that would agree with me. Just read the Sticky on Widescreen Gaming.
And jstutman is right: why come onto this thread asking for specific advice then jump down everybodies throats for making other suggestions? If a post doesnt help you, then just skip it.

Sorry if I got you mad ASKING why you didn't want to go widescreen.

Well i do know that xerox and NEC make lcds with some glossy screens. NEC uses what they call opticlear for a nice glossy finish. NEC however is pricey to. I found this NEC display at newegg that says it has the opticlear coating.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824002320

If my memory serves me LG might also have some panels that are glossy. The glossy factor is something you will have to look up yourself and find out who actually makes screens that way. I know they are made but they are kinda a select few in their own nitch. GL and if you find one that is either 19" or 20" and not widescreen that works good link me as i still cant decide if i want to go with a non glossy screen or not.

jstutman - thanks for the criticism, i'm of the opinion, if i can't answer a specific question, i don't... go figure.

Jedi - see above.

DragoXT - i love you man! thanks a million, i'll try and find some LGs or cheaper NECs in the 20" range. if you're ok with 19" check out samsung and sonys (ultrabrite and xbrite respectively). Other than that, i'm going with this NEC you've linked me to.

jstutman - they do exist and it is possible

NEC 20WMGX2, best color and great for gaming, movies are clear pictures are photorealistic. It has no HDMI but that is minor in my opinion. TV tuner means it is never garbage, in ten years you upgrade use it as a bedroom TV (or bathroom :p ).

nicspits said:
jstutman - thanks for the criticism, i'm of the opinion, if i can't answer a specific question, i don't... go figure.

Jedi - see above.

DragoXT - i love you man! thanks a million, i'll try and find some LGs or cheaper NECs in the 20" range. if you're ok with 19" check out samsung and sonys (ultrabrite and xbrite respectively). Other than that, i'm going with this NEC you've linked me to.

jstutman - they do exist and it is possible

Nic,

It's tough finding an all around LCD for both wide and normal viewing. What makes it difficult if you don't know what's going to be shown "wide" and what's not. Same with HDTVs but that's another story.

The higher end NECs are about as good as you will find. I don't have one but have seen those owned privately. The Dell fp1907 is a great looking LCD too and not expensive. I have seen them owned privately too.

Best thing to do is go to the big stores that have them and just look at what pleases you. It's a tough choice.

Drago's link is the 20wgmx2

rolling thunder, yeah, I've seen a couple glossy LCDs at best buy, compusa, a local place called ENU, and circuit city.... they were all 19" or smaller, as is the fp1907. I have no problem with vertical blank space when viewing a widescreen DVD (though I buy full), the annoyance of it is in games and like I said, not all games support them. I do keep a lot of older games around for replay after a few years (almost as much fun).

anyways, the NEC is the only 20" i've found, no 22"ers, and now i'm debating whether to spend another couple hundred on something 27" or so that would be an LCD TV or not. For this, I will be going and having a store hook up a computer and see what it looks like.

I'll post what I find.

Back