• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't use 4 sticks of RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kristian221

I have had this problem since I first put together my computer, and it is that I can't use all 16GB of RAM. I can use the first 8, but if I stick in the other 8 it becomes unstable and does a physical memory dump as well as getting stuck rebooting over and over. I have tried to turn down the clock on the RAM to 1333Hz as most have said to do with 4 sticks, and that works for a while. It gets me to the desktop, but after a bit it always goes to a blue screen and does a physical memory dump. My system Specs are below, any ideas gentleman?

Are all four sticks from the same kit, or is this something like 2 X 8Gb sets that were bought separately? Believe me, I know from experience that G.Skill RAM can be quite finicky with some of the newer boards.

Most of the QVLs will list the kit that has been tested--e.g. a 2x4Gb kit, for 8 Gb total. This does not mean that two of these kits will work.

I would run a memtest, and then (if they are separate kits) try each kit on its own and see if it works by itself.

Without knowing the model of RAM you have, including the rated frequency, timings, or voltage, besides either setting those manually or enabling XMP, try increasing VCCIO voltage to 1.12-1.15V. Then like mokrunka suggested, boot to Memtest86+ installed to a thumb drive.

Try running the memory sticks separate in the same memory slots with memtest86 and see if you have a bad stick of memory .

^ That is what I was thinking, seems like we may have a case of some corrupt ram. Testing each stick individually is how you will have to rule this out.

I haven't tested them using any sort of program before, but they do all work when I swap them out just not when they are all in together. XMP mode was the first thing I tried when they weren't working, though maybe I did it wrong back then...This is a year old problem I have been too lazy to fix because I bought the RAM on sale for a total of 20 bucks :p Lucky for me it has a lifetime warranty.

I haven't tested them using any sort of program before, but they do all work when I swap them out just not when they are all in together. XMP mode was the first thing I tried when they weren't working, though maybe I did it wrong back then...This is a year old problem I have been too lazy to fix because I bought the RAM on sale for a total of 20 bucks :p Lucky for me it has a lifetime warranty.

Well like previous posters have suggested running a memtest is generally a really good idea regardless of if the sticks work individually like you stated. It might pull something up that was not be noticeable while the sticks were running individually. Also verifying that you have enabled XMP properly is another thing you should do, probably before you run a memtest.

On a side note though I did have a memory related issue myself a while back where only half my RAM was being detected by my motherboard and after much frustration someone suggested that I check my CPU socket for bent pins. Lo and behold there were 3 slightly bent pins which I carefully realigned and that fixed the problem - on the next boot up all the sticks were detected. Not sure if something like bent pins could cause an issue like this but maybe one of the memory gurus can throw their input on that.

Just to make sure, the link you posted was of a 16Gb kit of RAM, 4x4Gb, correct? Either way, check the serial numbers of each module, G.Skill has matched sets with 4 consecutive SNs. (i.e. ....1, .....2, .....3, .....4, or whatever, I can't remember the format for the SN). Again I just want to mention that if you are using a couple sticks (such as the ones in your sig) with a couple of other sticks from another set, they may not work. If you set them to XMP, each stick may need to run with different XMP timings, so they won't play nicely together with RAM from another set.

Well what do you know, two of the ram sticks work fine, pop in the other two, works fine. Pop in one at a time and I found one that didn't work. Anyone ever worked with G.Skill before? Good customer support?

They've got great customer support in my experience. Go to http://www.gskill.us/forum/index.php and make a forum post. The G.Skill techs frequent the site, and they are very helpful. They may have some more ideas, and if you do need to return it, they can help you out.

Back