• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Car Key Duplication

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi everyone,

This might be a long shot but im going ask..

Wanting to know if anyone knows or has duplicated their own car key. I am driving a 2008 Subaru Impreza and unsure how to go about making a copy of the key.

I am trying work out what chip I need to do this.

Reading online I know my key has a transponder in it again I am not sure what model/part to get then I am also unsure if I need a specific board for the sake of locking and unlocking the doors and opening the boot.

If anyone can help or has done this before would really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Bandit.

If it has a transponder it has to be programmed to match the car by the dealer.

If it has a transponder it has to be programmed to match the car by the dealer.

I don't know about Subarus off hand but my ford has a provision for coding a new key as long as you have 2 other working keys without the need for the dealer being involved.

I saw something on youtube where a guy was doing something with the keys where he turned the keys 10 times not sure if thats how you lock them to the car and if I need 2 working keys or I can do it with 1.

I would find out who makes the ECM for your car, then see who else uses that company's ECMs. Then try whatever techniques work for them. It's a long shot, but not as long as it may seem at first glance. Manufacturers tend to stick with systems they're familiar with implementing unless the end user has specific requirements that supersede that.

I saw something on youtube where a guy was doing something with the keys where he turned the keys 10 times not sure if thats how you lock them to the car and if I need 2 working keys or I can do it with 1.

That is similar to the technique used in my ford. I forget the exact procedure but it goes something like put key 1 in and cycle between on-off position 10 times then immediately swap to key 2 and repeat 10 more times then put new key in and repeat pattern 10 more times and then start the car without removing the new key and the computer will then store the new transponder code.

This requires the use of two working keys as a security measure to make it hard to generate a new key for the car. If you do not have 2 keys then the dealer programming is the only option.

As I said though this is a ford procedure so I do not know if it is even relevant to a Subaru.

I don't know about Subarus off hand but my ford has a provision for coding a new key as long as you have 2 other working keys without the need for the dealer being involved.

I did that with my F-150, gotta have an OEM blank key and not some Chinese clone.

Now, MY '10 Subaru Forrester may be a different story, I am reading conflicting posts on the subaruforester forum, so I'll have to do a bit more reading.

cars101 has an absolute ton of technical information, see the Subaru Impreza section:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#top

ive got a 2012 fusion sport and its the same for it. if you have to go to the dealer or locksmith for a 2nd key in my area they will friggin rape you. ive talked to 5 or 6 different dealers and locksmiths and they all want $300+ per programmed key. for a $5 key and 10 mins of their time...ill stick it out with my single key.

definately read up on your specific model. if you are lucky you may only need one key to program it.

Some Auto Parts Stores can make the coded keys. When I needed one for my F150 I found Reilly's Auto Parts were able to make one and for less than $100

There should be blank and programmable keys on eBay, then you have someone local cut and there should be a procedure similar to what's described here (don't know if iSubaru requires two working keys though). I can imagine there should be plenty of places on youtube that outline the process.

Some Auto Parts Stores can make the coded keys. When I needed one for my F150 I found Reilly's Auto Parts were able to make one and for less than $100

Lowes does it also for less than a C note.

i bought two spare keys from ebay. getting them cut is the easy part for me. its the programming that is so expensive. most of the places charge like $50 per key and $250-$300 to program them. and they wont guarantee anything but their keys.

i have to remember to check out oriellys

The sad part of all this is there is nothing to justify the expense of programming the keys at the dealer level. The programming function is just a tiny part of the service software they lease from the manufacturer. I used to do it for free when customers bought a spare $10 key from our parts dept, or changed their turn signal/security module.

i just started a new job that is all about those key fobs. we sell and possibly fix yours. i do know that locksmith will be your best bet for getting it programmed. cheaper than dealer. PM me if you have any other questions.

Not sure about Subaru, but my 2005 jag uses a encryption system for the ignition system and coppys cant be made.
I believe most newer cards use some sort of chiped ket that has to be programmed. But higher end cars use a encryption system.
If its just a chipped key most lock smiths and hardware store sould be able to copy it.

Back