• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Card upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dravenspur

I know there are a lot of these, so I thought I'd add another one (ha ha). Can't have too many card recommendations, right? I was waiting on Vega (like I'm sure a lot of people were), however, after seeing some benchmarks and the increased power draw of the Vega cards, it might be time to switch to Pascal. It's not just that the Vega 64 doesn't beat the GTX 1080, my one big issue actually is the power draw. Something that isn't even better than now a mid to high end card (with the 1080 TI being the top of the gamer cards...I know it's not the Titan Xp, but I'm not counting that because I was never in the market for a Titan and the TI is still really good) should not be sucking power like it's the best card ever. I have a good enough PSU (I think...an EVGA 850 G2) for Vega, but the power to performance ratio is not good enough, to me. I'm looking to finally get an enthusiast card. I've been with ATI/AMD forever (I have the RX 480 now) since I thought NVIDIA was really doing a money grab with their cards (I didn't think they were worth the money NVIDIA was asking) and for a long time AMD was all I could afford. Now that I have some extra money, I'm looking at a GTX 1080. I realize I am only gaming at 1080p and the GTX 1080 is overkill (most likely). I just wanted to not have to care about my card for the next 3 years or so. I'm thinking of starting to get my cards near the end of their life cycle (a 1080 now, then Volta toward the end of its cycle, etc) It would be a little cheaper but still be really good for a few years worth of gaming.

I read that Volta is not in production right now because there is no way NVidia could make it cheap enough for consumers (which is saying something, since the 1080 TI is around $700 right now...makes me wonder how much Volta would cost). Anyway, with Volta not on the horizon (actually, the site I read speculated next spring is when NVIDIA would start production), and Vega not beating a 1080, my question is this. Do I wait for the holiday season to get a 1080 a little cheaper, or just buy one now? Does anyone have recommendations for what 1080 to get? I'm looking more at more noise reduction than aesthetics (although my RX 480 is an MSI, great low noise but I'm kind of tired of the red/black color). I was thinking an ASUS STRIX because I have an all black case with a window side panel (Fractal Design ARC Mini R2). The STRIX is 298 mm long which would fit just fine in my case. Of you who have the STRIX, do you like it? How's the noise? Would you recommend another card (just not MSI, like I said, I'm tired of the color). Thanks for any responses. I've been using this community for a while now for advice and you guys haven't let me down yet. :D

I have the MSI Gaming X.......
I've had 2 1080s: Gigabyte's Windforce and MSI Gaming X. The Windforce ran hotter and louder than the Gaming X, and also overclocked worse. The Gaming X default fan curve is very quiet, can't hear it.
This may just be bad luck, but I've had my hands on two Gaming X and both of them had serious, audible coil whine. The Windforce did not.

Since you're tired of MSI, I think going for Strix or FTW would be a good choice. The Zotac and Galax cards are a bit loud from a review I read. The Palit Gamerock could be a good choice, it also has a nice design, although I don't know enough about it's noise levels.

Not sure if it's the right time to buy a GPU. A few months ago the prices went up, people were purchasing AMD cards like crazy because of mining (at least in my country, maybe worldwide too). If you want one right now, then go for it.

Any Palit, PCP (Zotac), or Asus card would be a fine choice. I had a Gigabyte fan cooled card before my Zotac, no fan noise or coil whine, they'd be a fine choice too. Many people are happy with their EVGA cards too. Many options if you do not want MSI.
And the crypto-craze didn't affect the GTX 1080 too much, prices on the higher end cards are still what they were a year ago (if not a little lower).

I am a huge EVGA supporter: good build quality an amazing customer service (including the step-up program).

They all clock the same under ambient cooling (roll of a dice for a +/- 50MHz OC room).

I am a huge EVGA supporter: good build quality an amazing customer service (including the step-up program).

They all clock the same under ambient cooling (roll of a dice for a +/- 50MHz OC room).

Assuming stock air cooling is going to be used, and you're not looking for huge overclocks, the EVGA GTX 1080 FTW DT can be picked up for $515 shipped right now too. An all black card to boot, should fit in with most setups.

I just got my 1080 2 weeks ago , must say its fun playing every thing on ultra . I like you hope that it will last me a few years with highish settings .
What resolution do you use ? That 480 should beable to play most games for a few years with mid-high settings .

This is why you wont see me go above 1080p any time soon , it just makes you have to buy a gfx card every year =)

You’re correct that Vega isn’t great but given you have an rx480 why not wait for the Volta die shrink? It’ll fix just about every issue you have with it and is maybe only another year away?

@Sentential - you're right. I think I will hold off until at least the holidays to check on any news of Volta. Like I said in my original post, I read Spring next year at the earliest, which is fine. If it's going to be next summer or fall, though, I may go with a 1080 around the holidays. We'll see. Thanks for the help guys.

I do think it's wise to wait for Volta or discounted 1080s in November.

However, because of the mining craze you may be able to get $300+ for your RX480 in the short term, it may be worth seeing how much you can get for it on eBay.

I'm giving a hard look to the ASUS Strix 1080. I know most aftermarket 1080's are the same when it comes to performance. I'm looking at noise mostly. I've seen one review that says it's really quiet and another that says it's loud enough to hear even in a case. Can someone who owns one let me know about their experience with noise? That would be a big help.

I'm giving a hard look to the ASUS Strix 1080. I know most aftermarket 1080's are the same when it comes to performance. I'm looking at noise mostly. I've seen one review that says it's really quiet and another that says it's loud enough to hear even in a case. Can someone who owns one let me know about their experience with noise? That would be a big help.

I don't have a strix but I have a AIB card with 3 fans , gaming with fan curve on auto I cant really hear it over the other 7 fans I have in my case . when folding I set fan speed to 80% and you can hear it . It isnt excessive like the fans of old I used to run but you can hear it .

Back