• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case and PSU reccomendations ASUS X99-E-10G WS Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Desertsweeper

Registered
So I pulled the trigger on an ASUS x99-E-10G WS board along with an i7-6850K and a Corsair H115i Cooler. And now I need to pick a case and psu. It seems this board pushes the limits in the size department. I don't game at all - this is for my work so I don't need all the flashing LED's and see-thru boxes out there - but don't mind if that's what is good. I also want a stable, high-performing rig, so want a well-spec'd PSU. Price is not overly important to me - reliability is key. Aside from the components listed, I ordered a 1TB Samsung 960 M.2 SSD for the system, and will add two Samsung 850pro 1TB SSD's I already have, for data. I just bought a PNY P1000 graphics card to drive my three ASUS PB278 displays - so no heavy duty graphic cards going in there - just the one Quadro. I will add 32 or 64GB of RAM - yet to be purchased. Any recommendations on a case and psu would be highly appreciated?

A quality 600W PSU is more than enough.

LIke the EVGA G2.

Case? Well... Huge choice there! And it is more a matter of personal preference. Anything from $100 and up is good, as soon as you like it!

Case is up to you.. just look for e-atx compatibilty. :)

Power supply... i agree with tir. A quality 600w is PLENTY for that system...so would a 500w. Your system full overclocked to ambient limits wont reach 400w. Evga g2 or g3 500w would be my choice.

My choices are a limited, where I live. I found a Corsair RMi850 which I realize is overkill but is there any harm in using that?

Or.... maybe link us to wherever you are buying from and we can pick one out and save you some cash...

as long as it has the connectors you need, native to the psu, that'll do.
just avoid refurb units.

EarthDog, for the smaller components I am picking them off Amazon and the heavy/big stuff I am getting locally here in the Middle East where I am on contract. I use a forwarding address in NY and so shipping a PSU would double the cost. The Corsair is in a sealed box so one hopes it is new, but you just never know in this neck of the woods...The prices here are stupid. For example I got the i7-6850K on Amazon for $420 and the best price I could find here in Dubai was $612. It hit the NY forwarding address last night, costing me another $20 to forward here. But that's cause it's small and light. To ship heavy or large components, things go up to nasty pricing. So I gotta get the case and PSU here. There is actually a pretty good selection of stuff here - just expensive.

Ok things are progressing - I bought a Corsair 750D Obsidian case and I managed to find a 750W PSU: Corsair RM750i. The memory is ordered and the rest of the kit should arrive in the next few days. Can't wait to see how 10Gb Ethernet performs!

Haha I wish! No my LAN is 10Gbe so I will be connecting to my Synology 1817+ and VM Host at that speed...This was my primary reason for choosing the 10G WS Mainboard.

SO I finally got everything and had the time this morning to start the build and ran into two problems. The M.2 standoff screw was over-tightened at the factory by ASUS and would not come out for love or money. A common problem it seems. Finally landed up stripping the cross on the screw. (https://www.amazon.com/review/R2T09BKSVQ6NCS/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01LEXRW48)
And then I discovered the Corsair RM750i PSU only has one 8-Pin EATX12V cable and feed. The ASUS x99-E-10G WS board needs two. The next model up RM850i does have two it seems - so back to the store tomorrow for the larger unit and the other goes on ebay as a brand new unused but opened PSU.
The build waits....frustrating!

Ahhh... Asus build quality and legendary customer service!

(Could not resist...).

Man, that sucks big time!

Regarding the PSU 8 pins cable,one is plenty unless you plan on overclocking under LN2.

Last edited:
Regarding the PSU 8 pins cable said:
Tnn, the MB manual specifically states that unless both are plugged in, it will not boot. Is this just ASUS feeding the PSU makers?

Back