• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case/Cooling for AMD64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vince1990uk

Registered
Case/Cooling for AMD64 - Need help!!!

I'm planning on building the following system:

- AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (socket 939)
- Asus A8V-Deluxe + WiFi-g
- Patriot 1GB DC PC3700EL
- Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160gb Serial ATA150 (8MB cache)
- Connect 3D Radeon X800XT Platinum 256MB AGP DDR DVI VIVO
- TerraTec DMX 6Fire

This will be the first computer I've put together myself, but as I'm only 13, I thought I'd seek the advice of the "experts" :D when it came to cooling/overclocking.

Would a 120mm front intake, 120mm rear exhaust, 120mm top exhaust and a 120mm side intake (over AGP/PCI cards) be too much or would I only need 92mm or 80mm on the side and top?

I will appreciate ANY advice/tips on what case would be best or any comments on other aspects of the system I plan to build.

Thanks. :thup:

Last edited:
It all depends on what you plan on doing with the Rig. If you want to Overclock the heck out of it, which I would..Heheheh...then get a water cooled setup. You can build one yourself or buy a pre assembled kit for a couple hundred.

I did think about water cooling, but I have the dread of a leak in my mind :-/ , but I suppose if I leak-test it properly it will be fine.

If I did choose water-cooling, what kit (or set of components would you recomend - don't forget socket 939 CPU) also what case would you recomend for easy instalation or would I be better getting an external kit?

There's always phase-changing cooling kits, but that would take me a VERY long time to save up for!!!

Vapochill LightSpeed (Socket 478, 754, 939 and 940) - £539.32!!! :bang head :cry:

Head over to dtekcustoms.com and pick up a whitewater for Athlon 64. I have one and you will not be disappointed. While you are over there, look in the clearance section for a pro-core (there is nothing wrong with them that is major, they are marked down just because they might have a dent in them. It won't affect performance) Pick up a fan, a pump, and get about 7 feet of 1/2" tubing. My watercooling setup only cost me $109. For a case, I would start with a Cheiftec/Chenming case. Then if you want to, move up to higher lines of cases like Lian-Li.

NiTrO bOiE said:
Head over to dtekcustoms.com and pick up a whitewater for Athlon 64. I have one and you will not be disappointed. While you are over there, look in the clearance section for a pro-core (there is nothing wrong with them that is major, they are marked down just because they might have a dent in them. It won't affect performance) Pick up a fan, a pump, and get about 7 feet of 1/2" tubing. My watercooling setup only cost me $109. For a case, I would start with a Cheiftec/Chenming case. Then if you want to, move up to higher lines of cases like Lian-Li.

First of all, I live in England - do dteckcustoms ship to England and if they do would it not be cheaper to just order from companies based in Great Britan (www.tekheads.co.uk www.microdirect.co.uk ect.)

Also I need a socket 939 waterblock (am I wrong in thinking the whitewater is for socket 754?) and what is so special about Lian-Li cases? I might go for an Antec P160 or Thermaltake Tsunami Dreams.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry about that, didn't read your location. Here's a vendor that has dtek blocks and ships to england (I think). http://store.over-clock.com/D_Tek_Blocks.html

BTW, there is no difference between socket 754, and socket 939 coolers. They both use a two-hole mounting method.

I think alot of people like Lian-Li cases for their removable motherboard trays which makes building and tearing down alot faster.

NiTrO bOiE said:
Sorry about that, didn't read your location. Here's a vendor that has dtek blocks and ships to england (I think). http://store.over-clock.com/D_Tek_Blocks.html

BTW, there is no difference between socket 754, and socket 939 coolers. They both use a two-hole mounting method.

I think alot of people like Lian-Li cases for their removable motherboard trays which makes building and tearing down alot faster.

Back