• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case fan orientation scandal :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yoadknux

Hey guys,

Just wanted to write short story about a little thing I found out when cleaning my PC case, and hear what you guys have to say about it - science wise!

I'm running a X79 system - 4930k @ 4.6GHz, Cooled by Corsair H80i, 4x4 DDR3 CL10 2133 Ram, MSI 1080 Gaming X, inside a Thermaltake Element S case! I'm generally happy with this case as even though it's old, it looks kick-*** and helps keep my system cool (CPU about 73c during RealBench, GPU about 69c during Heaven/gaming). Everything works perfectly, except a minor thing, which I'll discuss now!

My fan orientation is slightly different than what is shown in the official thermaltake picture (Shown here): I have two front 120MM intake fans, a 200mm side intake fan (not shown in the image), one 60mm rear-bottom exhaust fan, and instead of the rear-top 140mm exhaust, I have the h80i Radiator mounted, push-pulled by two 120mm fans. As for the top fan (230mm) shown in the image... I've had this case for a while, and only yesterday I found out that rather than exhaust, the top fan actually intakes :shock: :screwy:. I tried rotating it for exhaust, just for fun, but found out that it created some problems:

1. The fan has mounting holes on only one side, so I need really long screws in order to mount it as exhaust.
2. The fan generates much more noise when used as exhaust rather than as intake.

I guess #1 can be solved... just need longer screws. #2 though, I understand why the fan generates more noise, it tries to exhaust through cover. It's not a faulty fan, any other fan I placed there also whined because it's trying to pull air out of a metallic grid that is too tight.

So I guess my question is, how critical is it in your opinion? Not sure if I feel like getting another top fan. Should I maybe turn the side fan from intake to exhaust?

The issue here isn't a real issue. Like I said, temps are good. I just want to discuss it out of curiosity :p.

So...you have one fan, on the bottom, exhausting? The rest is intake?

Front/sides = intake, top/rear = exhaust

Up to you if the cost and effort is worth it.

So...you have one fan, on the bottom, exhausting? The rest is intake?

Front/sides = intake, top/rear = exhaust

Up to you if the cost and effort is worth it.
If you exclude the Push-Pull on the radiator (which is mounted on the rear-top spot), then the only exhaust I have is a 60mm rear-bottom fan.

Why would we exclude it (i missed it, lol!)? It is exhausting out of the top, right?

So, whats the issue? Either get screws and flip it, or dont. No scandal here. Just some testing needed by you. Your cpu temps may go up, by airflow will be improved. :)

Last edited:
Why would we exclude it? It is exhausting out of the top, right?
We shouldn't really exclude it, although I would guess that exhausting air out of a PC case through a radiator may result in a bit lower efficiency than just a standard exhaust fan.

As for the radiator position, it exhausts out of the top-rear, yes.

Correct, less efficient, though you have a push/pull.

Its location is on the rear towards the top, right? The 200mm is top.

Correct, less efficient, though you have a push/pull.

Its location is on the rear towards the top, right? The 200mm is top.
Yes. the only "true" top fan, as in - sits on the ceiling of the case - is the 200mm intake.

Take a dremmel tool or metal nippers and cut out the metal grid that restricts and is causing the fan to be more noisy. It would seem that regardless of whether you have that fan set to exhaust or intake the mesh will be restrictive.

But it was noiser/quieter in a different orientation. While cutting the grate would help either orientation, i think the issue, because of how it was described, is more so due to the bearings(?) in the fan.

But it was noiser/quieter in a different orientation. While cutting the grate would help either orientation, i think the issue, because of how it was described, is more so due to the bearings(?) in the fan.
I agree, it doesn't like to be hung upside down. Makes it noisier.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to write short story about a little thing I found out when cleaning my PC case, and hear what you guys have to say about it - science wise!

I'm running a X79 system - 4930k @ 4.6GHz, Cooled by Corsair H80i, 4x4 DDR3 CL10 2133 Ram, MSI 1080 Gaming X, inside a Thermaltake Element S case! I'm generally happy with this case as even though it's old, it looks kick-*** and helps keep my system cool (CPU about 73c during RealBench, GPU about 69c during Heaven/gaming). Everything works perfectly, except a minor thing, which I'll discuss now!

My fan orientation is slightly different than what is shown in the official thermaltake picture (Shown here): I have two front 120MM intake fans, a 200mm side intake fan (not shown in the image), one 60mm rear-bottom exhaust fan, and instead of the rear-top 140mm exhaust, I have the h80i Radiator mounted, push-pulled by two 120mm fans. As for the top fan (230mm) shown in the image... I've had this case for a while, and only yesterday I found out that rather than exhaust, the top fan actually intakes :shock: :screwy:. I tried rotating it for exhaust, just for fun, but found out that it created some problems:

1. The fan has mounting holes on only one side, so I need really long screws in order to mount it as exhaust.
2. The fan generates much more noise when used as exhaust rather than as intake.

I guess #1 can be solved... just need longer screws. #2 though, I understand why the fan generates more noise, it tries to exhaust through cover. It's not a faulty fan, any other fan I placed there also whined because it's trying to pull air out of a metallic grid that is too tight.

So I guess my question is, how critical is it in your opinion? Not sure if I feel like getting another top fan. Should I maybe turn the side fan from intake to exhaust?

The issue here isn't a real issue. Like I said, temps are good. I just want to discuss it out of curiosity :p.

I was just responding on the basis of what the OP reported.

Well, I was able to resolve the issue!

I took out the fan and placed it literally inside the case. It was previously located on an exterior part of the case, seperated from the motherboard area by the metallic grid. Now I mounted it inside the case on exhaust (similar to Thermaltake Element G). Since it no longer needs to suck air through the grid, it's not noisy on exhaust.

Now, are the temps any different? Do I benefit from it in any way? Of course not. But science wise that's the way it should have been!

By the way, if I wasnt clear enough, this is what I've done:

G9Yn2FO.jpg

Note that the fan is actually inside the case - previously it was sitting above the ceiling of the case.

As for the 60mm fan, it's a pretty quiet noctua one. Since the MSI 1080 Gaming X throws a lot of heat into the case, especially the side, having a fan so close to it's exhaust helps remove heat from the case.

The GPU temps are actually great, I'm at +60/+400 and after 30 mins of Valley I'm only at 66c.

Back