• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case fans don’t work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dravenspur

I’m trying to determine if I need a new case for my next build. The case fans do not spin when I power on the system. I’ve already determined I need a new motherboard because my motherboard quit. I plugged the case fans into the fan headers on the mobo and they don’t spin. I’ve also tried plugging them into the the case power (I forget what those connectors are called). They don’t spin plugged in there either. I noticed the case power is missing a pin (I think...the fan power has three holes and the case power only has two pins..I don’t know if a pin has broken off or not).

The system turns on and the CPU fan works, but the case fans do not spin. Are they supposed to spin on startup? I never noticed when they were working. I looked on the internet and could not find a definite answer. I’m thinking I need to buy a new case, but if I could get a second opinion, that would be great. Thanks everyone.

It seems you have multiple issues at work here. Yes, the case fans should spin at system start-up. A dead motherboard could prevent this as well as missing pins on a case fan header. The best way to test these fans out is to eliminate the bad connections. If you have a 4 pin molex to fan connector you can connect the fans directly to the PSU Molex connector. Then you will need to either power on the system if it powers on, or jump the power supply to force it on.

Back