• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case Framing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unwell

I want to build a case. And I'm hoping to leverage your collective experience.

The goal is a very dense stack of shelves in something roughly 16"x16"x12-16"h. Advice would be appreciated.

I'm considering laminating 1/8" acrylic, a conductive foil, an insulating sheet and the motherboard. I'll cut holes in the insulating sheet beneath the screw mounts and place conductive washers to fill. I'm hoping this'll give me a rigid enough platform to support the motherboard and a copper heatsink. And do it with a terrifically low-profile.

For the outer shell:
1. 1/4" acrylic. Front and back hinged doors. Bit worried that the shelving sides will buckle without some cross-bracing. If the shelving glides are just strips of 1/8" plexiglass, even a little buckling and the motherboard shelves may slip off the glide.
2. Extruded T-slot aluminum. Makes a strong frame. But I can't find it in any size smaller than 1" (ok 20mm at a few places). This is much stockier than I am hoping for. Contruction should be easy though. However, I don't see any components for these systems that'll give me low profile glides for my shelves. I could run more T-slot bars horizontally and use the slot to run the shelf. 1" bars mean roughly a 1/3" inch(6.05mm) glide. But I'd also have to cut out a 1/3" inch slot in the vertical supports to let the shelf in/out.
3. The acrylic frame(1) with horizontal struts beneath each shelf for additional support. Quite a lot of extra cutting and some fussy gluing.

What do you think?

well it sounds pretty cool but might i suggest using the rollers for drawers on the shelves
so they pull out nicely and i dont think you will need any bracing but if you do then maybe 1'" strips placed across the bottom of the shelves from side to side
and the sides i dont think you have to worry about them buckling 1/4" plexiglass is pretty strong by it's self

~Magick_Man~

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear that 1/4" will be strong enough.

Rollers would be nice. Can you recommend a brand that won't impinge too much on the width of my assembly? Most that I've seen are designed to carry a heck of a lot more weight than I'm looking at and are accordingly pretty bulky affairs.

I should have mentioned that I'm targeting shelves spaced 1 5/8" apart.

Back