• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case has fixed motherboard standoffs. Should I be concerned?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rebelwarlock

Some of the standoffs in my case are not lined up with the motherboard's screw holes. I haven't powered on yet with the motherboard in this case, but I'm worried that if I do, there might be a short. Is this likely to be an issue?

EDIT: Here's a picture

Last edited:
It isn’t necessarily a concern that the standoff’s are fixed but it is a concern if they are not lining up with the motherboard holes. Or at least it is a concern of there are standoff’s underneath the board not used.

I cannot really see the problem from the picture though, Can you say what motherboard and case it is ?

Ya that picture doesn't help at all. If you have standoffs under the motherboard that are not used I would not power it up. You very well could cause a short.

Motherboard is B250 Gaming M3. The case was hard to find because I needed something to hold all these GPUs (mining rig). Is there something I can do, like putting an insulator between the unused standoffs and the board, or am I just asking for trouble?

I would remove the ones in the way, forcefully if necessary. They may even unscrew if you can clamp a pair of vice-grips on them. Just be sure to only remove the ones not in use.

Tbh as long as there are some standoff’s holding the motherboard so it cannot flex and create a short then you may be ok to just grind off the ones that aren’t needed. If it’s for a mining rig it doesn’t need to be pretty, just safe.

I would remove the ones in the way, forcefully if necessary. They may even unscrew if you can clamp a pair of vice-grips on them. Just be sure to only remove the ones not in use.

You were right. Grabbed the two offenders and wiggled them right off. Left two little holes in the back of the case, but I'll just tape over those to not get dust in there.

Back