• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cd key

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chaos

How 'merciful' is Microsoft when getting a new cd key? My system with windows 7 ultimate on it crashed(believe its the mobo or some other component). Will they 'give' me a new key if I change motherboards,cpu etc..but the system is still pretty much the same??

If you lost your previous key, they won't give you a new one. Are you talking about reactivation instead?

They won't give you a new key.

However, if you replace a component, reinstall Windows, and your old key fails, you can call them up and explain what happened (replaced a dead part) and they'll usually reactivate your old key for you. They're pretty lenient on it from what I've heard.

Be weary though, I've gone through this process several times as my main computer has evolved somewhat over the last few years. They put you on hold forever! And actually, they do give you a new key. I'm pretty sure they deactivate your old key though.

Back