• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Change in memory causes crash.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheHeroLink

Hello, I have a issue where my motherboard (MSI 970A-G46) or (911-76930-013 to be precise) is not showing the full overclocked speed of my RAM (G.Skill
F3-17000CL11Q-16GBZL) When I go to BISO and I change the RAM from anything but the default frequency the MOBO gives me (1600) when I reboot the BIOS won't load so I have to clear my CMOS again, also the list of frequency's in the BIOS doesn't even list the 2133 Frequency which the motherboard can handle, and that confuses me as well. If I have left out any information please just let me know, and thank you very much for trying to help me out, you guys are awesome, Peace!

not all motherboards support all ram at all speeds,i would check there web site to see if your ram is on there qualified vendors list, worst case you might have to run it at slower speeds, you dont really get any performance increase over 1600 anyways but it is nice to have higher rated ram for when you OC the cpu.

It does state that it can handle it

Memory Type: DDR3-800/1066/1333/1600/1866/2133

yes but unfortunately those timings are only with ram they tested and approved in there qualified vendors list, if your exact modules of ram are not in the list then they very well might not be supported at those speeds.

here is the QVL for your motherboard
i didnt see any approved ram over 1600 so i would guess any ram over 1600 would be a gamble for the end user.

The DDR3-2133 DRAM frequency option isn't listed in the drop-down because the FSB needs to be increased above the default 200MHz, this combined w/ one of the available DRAM multipliers to achieve that frequency. This is why the 'OC' appears after the DDR3-2133 rating in the Memory Support spec...

Supports four unbuffered DIMM of 1.5 Volt DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600/1866/2133* (OC) DRAM, 32GB Max

Since the DRAM multiplier needs to be set to x8.00 at a FSB of 200MHz for an effective DDR3-1600, you would need to bump the FSB to 266MHz at the same x8.00 to equal DDR3-2133. So either enable the DDR3-2133 XMP profile if available, or besides manually adjusting the FSB and multiplier also bump the NB and CPU-NB voltages.

Back