• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED changing from dual core to quad core cpu. need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

watcher6342

do i still unplug psu from wall then insert new cpu and ram. after install it, do i then push cmos button to reset? or is ther another way. do i first install cpu and then cmos. after that install ram and and then press cmos? could someone please advise. thank you.

TBH, i only ever just make sure nothing is plugged in. (power wise) i only ever use cmos reset when i dont boot.
im pretty sure installing a new CPU wil clear cmos (comes up with a new PCU installed screen after post)

Some would say unplug from the wall. I and other would say keep it plugged in the wall whenever possible, for the fact that it provides a ground for any possible static. You should always ground yourself to drain off any static before handling sensitive electronics. While the computer is plugged in, even when powered off the Ground is still active. Of course, make absolutely sure you have turned off the power switch on the PSU.

As far Bios and what to do with CPU upgrades, I usually just pop in the new CPU, boot up, and the Bios will detect it. Go into Bios if you know you have to make any changes or just to verify that the settings are correct, and away you go.

Some would say unplug from the wall. I and other would say keep it plugged in the wall whenever possible, for the fact that it provides a ground for any possible static. You should always ground yourself to drain off any static before handling sensitive electronics. While the computer is plugged in, even when powered off the Ground is still active. Of course, make absolutely sure you have turned off the power switch on the PSU.

As far Bios and what to do with CPU upgrades, I usually just pop in the new CPU, boot up, and the Bios will detect it. Go into Bios if you know you have to make any changes or just to verify that the settings are correct, and away you go.

is it the same process with changing ram? can i do both cpu and ram at the same time or should i do them separately?

Same process with the ram. Yes, you can do them together, after cmos rest. Then go right into bios and set time and date. Is this a new install of OS too?

Same process with the ram. Yes, you can do them together, after cmos rest. Then go right into bios and set time and date. Is this a new install of OS too?

no. same os, just getting ready to install the cpu,ram,and new cooling fan that was suggested on my other thread. i have been very busy lately and may finally get to install this stuff Tuesday. If not , then next weekend. i want to make sure i dont rush it and mess something up.

you will need to do a full format of the drive and install of the OS after.

always keep the power cord plugged into both the comp and the wall to ground out the system and anything connected to it. I work on a non static rubber mat any time I do any work on a comp, along with grounding myself out at various intervals to make sure there is no static discharge.

take your time, work out any wiring issues before going too far to keep airflow to a maximum, and above all else, dont get frustrated. whenever I feel frustration setting in, I take a break and walk around for 10-15 minutes, then get back to work :)

you will need to do a full format of the drive and install of the OS after.

always keep the power cord plugged into both the comp and the wall to ground out the system and anything connected to it. I work on a non static rubber mat any time I do any work on a comp, along with grounding myself out at various intervals to make sure there is no static discharge.

take your time, work out any wiring issues before going too far to keep airflow to a maximum, and above all else, dont get frustrated. whenever I feel frustration setting in, I take a break and walk around for 10-15 minutes, then get back to work :)

No. You don't need to reinstall the OS if it's just the CPU IIRC.

If you replace the motherboard then chances are you'll have to reinstall the OS because of drivers, but you don't need to reinstall if it's only the CPU.

Depends on the OS. I did a mobo/cpu swap, from a C2D to a i7, and didn't re-install the OS, which was Windows 7 x64. It detected everything that it could, and I had to uninstall/reinstall other drivers (like the X-Fi drivers) because the hardware had different resources. Other then that, I was back up and running like normal in just a few hours. Would have been much quicker if I knew what to expect and did some prep before the swap.

Like others have said, just shut of psu (can keep it plugged in), swap everything, clear cmos if you want (i usually dont) and boot it up. Should be good to go, good luck

Depends on the OS. I did a mobo/cpu swap, from a C2D to a i7, and didn't re-install the OS, which was Windows 7 x64. It detected everything that it could, and I had to uninstall/reinstall other drivers (like the X-Fi drivers) because the hardware had different resources. Other then that, I was back up and running like normal in just a few hours. Would have been much quicker if I knew what to expect and did some prep before the swap.

Yes, you can replace the MoBo without reinstalling if you uninstall all the drivers from that motherboard and then replace it.

i have the artic silver 5, the AMD Phenom 2 Black Edition X4960T, and cooler master hyper 212 evo. do i need to put this together and wait for awhile before installation? if so, how long ?

Yes, you can replace the MoBo without reinstalling if you uninstall all the drivers from that motherboard and then replace it.
Usually. It's a bit sketchy, but it can work. It helps if the two platforms are similar - I bet you'd have less luck going from Intel to AMD, but it could work if you're careful. Either way, just upgrading the CPU shouldn't require any driver/OS muckery. It should just work.

i have the artic silver 5, the AMD Phenom 2 Black Edition X4960T, and cooler master hyper 212 evo. do i need to put this together and wait for awhile before installation? if so, how long ?
No need. Clean the CPU off with alcohol, mount it in the board, apply a dab of thermal paste, and install the cooler on top. The thermal paste will settle in over a couple of days, but that isn't too noticeable.

IMO, I would turn off the PSU and press the power buttons a couple of times. Discharge the static. Then you should be fine.

Usually. It's a bit sketchy, but it can work. It helps if the two platforms are similar - I bet you'd have less luck going from Intel to AMD, but it could work if you're careful. Either way, just upgrading the CPU shouldn't require any driver/OS muckery. It should just work.

No need. Clean the CPU off with alcohol, mount it in the board, apply a dab of thermal paste, and install the cooler on top. The thermal paste will settle in over a couple of days, but that isn't too noticeable.

thanks for the quick reply. i was hoping that i could go ahead and power down , clear cmos, and then install new ram , cpu and fan in 1 shot.

do i have to take the mobo out to put in the standoffs, or can i use the fan without the standoffs? the threads on the standoffs dont match the ones that the old bracket were in. it looks as if there is a metal plate behind the mobo that the plastic bracket screwed into.there is a piece called a retention platex 1, can it be used to hold the cooling fins and fan in place on top of the processor by itself?

ok, i changed the cpu and cooler and tried the new ram. power came on, but nothing after that. i then changed back to old ram. nothing but power on. now it wont turn off unless i flip switch on psu. still no beeps or boot up. screen does not come on and neither do lights on the keyboard. what other options? i tried the jumper on cmos. is there another way to clear cmos. by taking out the battery possibly? any ideas and/or suggestions would be most helpful. i hope i dont have bad parts.

Back