• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED changing from dual core to quad core cpu. need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, it can all be done in bios. Not sure what you're asking about "the speed you need"? Do you mean the speed to be compatible with the CPU or to do certain computing tasks?

just wondering if slowing the speed on the ram down will effect the speed of the operations.

The IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) of the Phenom II 960 Zosma is not robust enough to handle the ram at its full speed. It is the weak link in the chain. The ram is capable of faster and the motherboard is too but the CPU ICM is not. The Bulldozer CPUs will handle 1866 mhz and future generations of AMD CPUs may even handle faster than 1866. Sorry, them is the facts. I'd like my care to do 180 mph but it won't and no amount of wishful thinking will change that.

Last edited:
ok, its a done deal. i just ordered the mobo and ram. guess the gpu i have will have to do for now unless you know of one better than the one i have that is not so expensive but is a better gpu. im not big on understanding them. i just bought it because it was 1gb. if you know of one with 1gb or better and also is a better gpu at around the same price. im all ears.

Your GPU is rather dated. It's just fine for general computing: office software and surfing the net but it's very inadequate for gaming. Upgrading it will not cause you to notice any difference in the performance of your computer unless you do video intensive tasks such as gaming. What is the range of tasks you do with your computer?

You will be running the same motherboard and CPU as I have so I can help when it comes to messing the bios.

Your GPU is rather dated. It's just fine for general computing: office software and surfing the net but it's very inadequate for gaming. Upgrading it will not cause you to notice any difference in the performance of your computer unless you do video intensive tasks such as gaming. What is the range of tasks you do with your computer?

You will be running the same motherboard and CPU as I have so I can help when it comes to messing the bios.

just normal stuff as you say. but i am possibly getting ready to try some games.

The IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) of the Phenom II 960 Zosma is not robust enough to handle the ram at its full speed. It is the weak link in the chain. The ram is capable of faster and the motherboard is too but the CPU ICM is not. The Bulldozer CPUs will handle 1866 mhz and future generations of AMD CPUs may even handle faster than 1866. Sorry, them is the facts. I'd like my care to do 180 mph but it won't and no amount of wishful thinking will change that.

is this mobo capable of bulldozer? i mwaiting for it to drop in price ,so i can upgrade to that. just hope the mobo is up to it.

is this mobo capable of bulldozer? i mwaiting for it to drop in price ,so i can upgrade to that. just hope the mobo is up to it.

Yes. Quite BD capable. Well, several weeks ago you said you wanted something "future proof". I kept that in mind in my recommendations but as I told you then "future proof" is a very short term idea in the digital world. This board will run Bulldozer but who knows where the twists and turns of AMD's plans will actually take them after Bulldozer. They may even go to a different socket than AM3+ entirely.

If you were going to get a new GPU, what's you're budget?

well, now that i have a big old bowl of boot loops on my new android phone, i don't see a new gpu in the near future. i have to work through that problem first. my wifes birthday is coming up and she wants me to take her to orlando to see megadeth. so, i will be working to make that happen. even though they are my fav band, it is 1 day after her birthday. it is the only time we get any time together. we try to do this atleast once a year. it's only for a day or two, but you have to take what you can get.

Good investment, I'd say. Unlike GPUs, a good wife when properly taken care of, gets better with time.

Good investment, I'd say. Unlike GPUs, a good wife when properly taken care of, gets better with time.

yeah, she took care of me for 3.5 years while i was down having 3 back surgeries. she carried the load along with my bs of being hooked on pain pills. i cleaned up and went cold turkey. for the last 10, i've done the same for her. we have our moments, but for the most part i cant complain. so i would def. have to agree with you.

Good story. Thanks for sharing. Yes, we all have our moments but if the commitment is there it carries us through. I was sitting beside a guy on a plane one time who was telling me that his marriage was on the rocks and he said, "It's a 50/50 proposition and she ain't living up to her part." Well, I knew with that attitude they didn't stand a chance. Sometimes its 30/70 for a while and then later on its 70/30. Whatever it takes to the 100% each party has to be willing to make up the difference at times. I guess that's old fashioned thinking but when my wife and I took our vows it was still "'til death do us part." I guess kids don't say that anymore.

ok, installed new asus M5A97 mobo, put everything together. i get the led light on the mobo, but that is it. feel like shooting this thing. after all the trouble with the cpu and then my new android going on the fritz and having to return that and now this happening. not looking like a good day.if someone could talk me through this. its gotta be something simple but i cant wrap my head around it.new setup: asus M5A97 mobo, 8gb g skill ram(sniper) of course the amd processor in my sig, same gpu, same psu. i gotta be swapping wires somewhere. if any one has a snapshot of wire setup and placement, i feel it would be helpful to see it. any help, much appreciated. havnt done a build in about 3 yrs and this is driving me nuts.

got it up and running. atleast the comp part. the problem i have now is that it is freezing on windows boot. keeps kicking me back to repair or start normally. i've tried both with no success. i believe there was a thread on here with someone having same problem but cannot find it. it is also showing my amd cpu as 4 core and not showing usb. in bios i have it in normal mode , do i need to change ram speed? could that be a problem? maybe using win 7 disc will help, maybe a repair instead of a clean sweep. any suggestions or info would be appreciated

the bios file is zipped extract the zipped file to the usb then update bios....
check your settings in the bios for voltages ,frequencies ,and timings as recomended by the memory manugacturer...

The problem is not the bios. The problem is the old windows installation is configured to the old motherboard components and windows will need to be completely reinstalled. Then the Asus install CD will need to be inserted and the new chipset drivers installed.

Back