• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED changing from dual core to quad core cpu. need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A family of 5, 3 cats and 20 dogs. Wow! I'll bet it gets kind of crazy around your house sometimes.

5 people, 20 cats, and 3 dogs. crazy comes close sometimes.:) all animals but one cat are rescues. we try to get them all fixed and then try to give them homes. 5th person is my mother.that's always interesting ,when i tell her that the house is my wifes domain. 2 teenagers who swear they know everything. and last but not least, is me who may be here 2 days a week.i have to try and reinforce the rules the wife puts into play.all on 1 income. i guess crazy comes real close. :) but, most of time, its ok :) financially it gets tight once in a while, but most of time its not so bad. God has been good that way, but i keep praying for some breathing room anyways.

I like what Dr. James Dobson said about raising teenagers. He said it boils down to survival. If both you and the teenager can get through those years somehow until they become adults without killing each other or the relationship there is a good chance they will be functional adults and you can begin enjoying each other in new plane. Having grand kids is much more fun in some ways. That's where my wife and are now.

i would definitely like to wait for the kids to get a little older and financially set before they decide on kids. but OYEAH, i cant wait for grandkids. it will be payback time :), plus i get to spoil them. i love kids.

which would you suggest between asrock or asus mobos? also the ram, is it fairly fast or is it middle of the road, also, is it overclockable on both boards?will the ram work on both boards? im thinking of buying 2 sets of the ram, so i have plenty to play with.

which would you suggest between asrock or asus mobos? In the same price range and class, probably Asus. also the ram, is it fairly fast or is it middle of the road, middle of the road. If you want faster go up to DDR3 1866 or 2100 also, is it overclockable on both boards? Yes, but you proably don't want to overclock the ram. You start the ram at a lower speed than its rated and clock up to the rated speed. AMD CPUs don't like the ram run very fast. will the ram work on both boards? Yes, both. im thinking of buying 2 sets of the ram, so i have plenty to play with. Using more than two sticks of ram at at time has a detrimental affect on overclocking as it puts extra strain on the CPU's ICM. 8 gigs in more than enough unless you do CAD or Photoshop or Audio Video encoding. If you insist on getting 16 gigs get a 2x8 kit t instead of a 4x4 kit.

The NewEgg server is down right now.

I should shed some light on some things about ram:

1. Any DDR3 ram will work in any DDR3 motherboard. The key compatibility word here is "DDR3".
2. Ram will run at its rated speed but will also run at speeds slower than its rating. Therefore, DDR3 1600 will also run at 1333 and 1066 or anywhere in between. Ram rated at 2100 will also run at 1866 or 1600 just fine. A Porshe will do 160 mph but will also do 70 mph.
3. The AMD integrated memory controller is only rated for 1333 mhz but the Thuban and Zosma CPUs will generally run the ram at 1600 any how. Don't count on any more than that. Therefore it's a waste to buy faster ram than 1600 unless you have an Intel or an AMD FX CPU. The only advantage in having faster than 1600 ram with your CPU is that ram rated at 1866 or 2100 could be run at 1600 mhz with tighter timings than ram rated for 1600 mhz. Do you know about ram timings? 2100, 1866, 1600, 1333 refers to the data transfer rate. 9-9-9-12-24-2T would be the ram timings (also called "latency") smaller timings (i.e., lower latency equates to better performance). So there are two factors that affect ram performance: 1. The data transfer rate and 2. The latency. Faster data transfer rates and lower latencies are desirable. It is also true that it is difficult to achieve both at the same time. That is to say, increasing the data transfer rate requires raising the latency. Ram with high data transfer rates usually have slower timings which negates, to some extent, the higher data transfer rate.

Okay, NewEgg back up. That ram you linked would be fine. You can probably run it at 1600 with some nice tight timings. In my mind the most important thing is reliability. If the ram is getting good reviews by a lot of customers, I feel comfortable about it. If a lot of people are reporting bad sticks and there's significant RMA activity, stay away. Also, some ram products market themselves too aggressively and really won't perform up to their claims on a lot of systems. That's particularly true with the high speed ram (1866 and above).

The NewEgg link you referenced is for a 2x4 set, not a 2x8 set. Which way have you decided to go?

Okay, NewEgg back up. That ram you linked would be fine. You can probably run it at 1600 with some nice tight timings. In my mind the most important thing is reliability. If the ram is getting good reviews by a lot of customers, I feel comfortable about it. If a lot of people are reporting bad sticks and there's significant RMA activity, stay away. Also, some ram products market themselves too aggressively and really won't perform up to their claims on a lot of systems. That's particularly true with the high speed ram (1866 and above).

so , would you suggest going with the ram you picked but buy 2 8 gb sticks?

I would suggest going with what I originally suggested in the GSKill 2x4 ripjaws. If you insist on getting 16 gb then get the ripjaws in 2x8. But I think you are trying to future proof and you just can't do it.

I would suggest going with what I originally suggested in the GSKill 2x4 ripjaws. If you insist on getting 16 gb then get the ripjaws in 2x8. But I think you are trying to future proof and you just can't do it.

can you verify something for me?the comps i built for my kids have the msi 785GT-E63 mobo. i bought some corsair xms2 dhx ddr2 ram, thinking it would work on my gigabyte mobo. i looked it up last night and it said it would work on their mobos. can you check to see if i read that right, please. if so i can put it on my daughters comp and put her ram in my sons comp. when i get the new mobo and ram, i will put my 4 gigs of ram into my sons comp also. he likes to build video games or is in the process of learning how to, so he needs more.

If your mobo is a DDR2 mobo then any DDR2 ram should work.
finally have the chance to upgrade mobo and ram. with the suggestions you made. which one of these mobos could handle (ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS), ( ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS),( ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard)..this ram(G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR)
trying to get the best mobo for future proofing and also able to work with this ram. since you suggested the mobos, i figured you have had experience with them and would know which in your opinion is best. i will be installing the amd processor you helped me out with.thanx .

It will work with it. But with the current CPU you are using you will want to run that ram at 1600, not 1899 mhz. Ram will run at its rated max speed or any speed lower than that just fine. It is downwardly compatible with earlier speed standards.

It will work with it. But with the current CPU you are using you will want to run that ram at 1600, not 1899 mhz. Ram will run at its rated max speed or any speed lower than that just fine. It is downwardly compatible with earlier speed standards.

and all of this can be done in bios without any problems , and still give me the speed i need?

Yes, it can all be done in bios. Not sure what you're asking about "the speed you need"? Do you mean the speed to be compatible with the CPU or to do certain computing tasks?

i am sorry for not being on more. my mom bought me a lg optimus v slider for my birthday and i semi bricked it by rooting it. its caught in boot loop and i am working with someone to try and get it fixed before i take my wife to a megadeth concert in orlando for her birthday. would you happen to have any experience with that particular phone? my wife keeps saying i should leave stuff alone. but i have to be like a kid and tinker with everything.

Back