• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changing voltage values

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shinigami

Registered
Hello,

I'm new here but I thought perhaps someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I remember, about 6 months to a year ago, reading about how someone added a potentiometer in the power supply to increase the voltage to their 5+ line since his was below spec. Anyone know where I can find this page or any info about it?

I'm using a generic 350W power supply to run in a second computer that I wont be overclocking or using for anything extreme.

I looked at the readings in the BIOS and here are the voltages it's giving after I let the CPU warm up to idle speed:

3.3v = 3.54v
5v = 4.86v
12v = 13.13v

The system specs are:
AMD 1.33 Tbird
Asus A7V133 (everything is jumper mode and default settings)
2 x 256mb Micron PC133 CAS2 RAM
Maxtor 15GB 5400rpm HDD
Currently a 32mb Radeon 7200 PCI vid card (Switching to a 128mb Radeon 8500LE when my 128mb Radeon 9700Pro arrives)
4x Toshiba DVD-ROM
2 NIC's, one 3Com the other Intel.
Generic 350W power supply

When I first got the mobo I tried running a 1700+ palamino in it, everything set to jumper mode and I didn't have these problems at all but it didn't like the XP processor since it wasn't stable in Windows and Red Hat couldn't compile the kernel. So I grabbed a 1.33 Tbird.

Now I can't get anything to install properly. I tried Red Hat 9, Win98 and XP. It all stalls after loading the temp install files but can't boot Windows or get past loading anaconda for linux.

On top of that, when I first try to access the BIOS, sometimes it stalls on me in there. I thought perhaps a generic power supply would do for something that wouldn't be running so extreme like my main rig.

Idea's? Or should I just scrap this and get another power supply? I'm going to be swapping out the power supply with my main rig to see if it fixes my install problems.

Ok, I just tested with my Enermax 350W from my main rig, same problem. I think it might be my CPU.

Back